Fuel Pump Woes

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
who_gives_a6

#1 Post by who_gives_a6 »

Interesting issue happened today. Quad died out randomly and wouldn't start. Looked down and the negative pump terminal was ripped in half. So I'm sure it grounded out. Completely killed the battery so tried jump starting after a temporary terminal fix. Pump will prime but when you hit the starter it won't do anything. Let off the starter and it'll prime again and then let out a short but loud buzzing sound.

Any suggestions? Hoping the ECU isn't toast, but have spares. Possibly just the pump got fried? I can test another pump/ecu tomorrow but figured I'd pick some brains first.

Also, can these pumps be torn apart to replace a terminal or will I just be needing to buy a new pump? The terminal is broken beyond usage.

who_gives_a6

#2 Post by who_gives_a6 »

Well, replaced fuel pump, reprogrammed the ECU, and back in business.

Went riding this morning and coming out of a corner it locked up. Pulled spark plug and oh joy. Major failure. Zero shavings in oil as of yesterday and was running like a champ. I'm pretty hard on machines but this quad only lasted about 10-12hrs of riding. My other 467 and 478 have done better.

467, Timbo crank/head, CP piston, brand new cams, etc. Gonna start the teardown this week and assess the damage. Beyond frustrated right now. Looking down the plug hole you can see shavings/chunks. Just wonderful.. Spark plug had to be forced out too.

kdeal

#3 Post by kdeal »

You may have sucked something down the intake. A fellow member found a hose clamp wrapped around the valves after multiple hours running it first. He didn't rebuild it, but it must have been hung up in the intake somewhere and then let loose.

who_gives_a6

#4 Post by who_gives_a6 »

Who knows? Gonna pull it tomorrow and see. I did have the air filter off yesterday, though put a rag over everything. The engine is completely seized and won't turn over.

Was running incredible and also was dyno tuned, so doubt it was a tuning issue. I was in 2nd gear near redline and as soon as I shifted to 3rd it just stopped. My other identically setup quad has had the same treatment and well over 50hrs.

kdeal

#5 Post by kdeal »

Tim did the crank and the head?

who_gives_a6

#6 Post by who_gives_a6 »

That's correct. Will have the engine pulled today but may not be able to get it torn down just yet.

who_gives_a6

#7 Post by who_gives_a6 »

Engine pulled. Zero shavings/chunks in oil, no coolant mixing and was able to turn the engine over in reverse manually. So the piston still goes up/down but for sure have a bent valve at the minimum. Pulling the covers later. Hoping it was some random fluke but still sucks. Then again, I ride in the upper 20% of the rpm range usually so who knows.

kdeal

#8 Post by kdeal »

Look down the ports with a flashlight. You should see any bent or broken valves....

werty

#9 Post by werty »

any news?