What on Earth?!

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
kdeal

#11 Post by kdeal »

Omegas,

The cams are more reliabilty than anything else. There is one special set of cam type out there that has a difference in lift and duration that does make a difference, but they are really rare. I recently spent $200 on a head just to get the cams because they were FX400 type in decent shape.

Give Tim a heads up and he will make right anything that he may have done wrong. I have sent him over 100 heads previously over time and have yet to have a single sticky bucket failure. Tim can also hook you up with the DLC valve buckets I told you about. You do not need any other special parts unless you want to go faster or just pay more money. I would ship Tim the crank just to make sure when the valves got crunched you did not bend the connecting rod. Otherwise stock parts hold up well. I may have an exhaust cam to sell you if you need one. Let me check my hoard pile!

Just an FYI, Tim had a very close family member pass in the last few days and he is probably not going to be himself for a few weeks. You can ship him stuff with your name in and on the box, but I would wait a few weeks before talking to him, he is taking the death pretty hard.

Ken

who_gives_a6

#12 Post by who_gives_a6 »

That's bad to hear. I'm not really worried about Tim making things right. Sometimes things happen and he's done multiple cranks And heads for me with flawless performance. Just was hoping to get these parts back asap. But under the circumstances, can wait.

KDeal: if you are Anyone else has good exhaust cams I need two and will buy or trade for some. Preferably with updated decomps. If I knew more about cams/engine phsyics I'd look into new cams. Multiple big name manufacturers within 20-30mins of where I live.

Side note: would anyone have a need for the exhaust cam from this engine For whatever reason? It has a rebuilt decomp on it from Boomer.

MX Quad Dad

#13 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I know the Zinc topic has been debated before but you did say new cam. and more and more it seems like the zinc is disapearing from oils that had it the last time we bought it. I also use Amsoil and I used to use the automotive 10w40 back in 02. it had the same API ratings as the motorcycle oil and I used the same oil in my 350 GMC and would just buy cases of it to save $. all of a sudden I noticed the API changed on the automotive oil but not the motorcycle oil. so I started buying the motorcycle oil but now I am thinking about switching to thier Z ROD oil which actually says it contains zinc.

From everything I have read the zinc is most important at break-in. some of what I read says after break-in the zinc may not be as important.

who_gives_a6

#14 Post by who_gives_a6 »

I used amsoil assembly lube which I believe has zinc in it. I use Z Rod oil in my 65 Mustang but here's a question for everyone. The last car I did I used Amsoil 30wt break in oil which has very high zinc levels. Worked very well and the cam/lifters looked great upon initial inspection.

Anyone think that may be a possible oil for break in or stick with regular oil and some type of zinc additive for these engines?

Either way I'll be looking into coated buckets from now on. Still need a good sources for exhaust cams.

coreyg589

#15 Post by coreyg589 »

Theirs an exhaust cam on ebay for 30 bucks right now. http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-Cannondale-Cann...7dc&vxp=mtr

speed 450mx

#16 Post by speed 450mx »

That cam is trash

werty

#17 Post by werty »

QUOTE (speed 450mx @ Jan 19 2014, 08:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That cam is trash

Yes it is. Brad Penn oils are high zddp. I run a 10- 30 to 10-40 semi synthetic. Both quads have no signs of wear.

wistech

#18 Post by wistech »

Here is what you need. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-CANNONDALE-CA...c2b&vxp=mtr Both are the old style good cams with some miles on them so they are proven to have good hardnees. The head looks ok too as your head is beyond reasonable repair. If they have the new style tall buckets id for sure replace them with good ones of which there are many chioces. Maybe make an offer to the seller for a bit less but Just the cams alone are worth the money for good ones. If you really cant find any good cams pm me .
Did Tim discuss with you about using new style cams and buckets?

MX Quad Dad

#19 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (who_gives_a6 @ Jan 18 2014, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used amsoil assembly lube which I believe has zinc in it. I use Z Rod oil in my 65 Mustang but here's a question for everyone. The last car I did I used Amsoil 30wt break in oil which has very high zinc levels. Worked very well and the cam/lifters looked great upon initial inspection.

Anyone think that may be a possible oil for break in or stick with regular oil and some type of zinc additive for these engines?

Either way I'll be looking into coated buckets from now on. Still need a good sources for exhaust cams.

I don't see any thing on the amsiol site stating that their assembly lube has zinc/zddp. thier break-in oil clams to have it though.

I am not a fan of assembly lube since the time I lost two briggs & straton cranks with very few hours on them. I know those old briggs were throwers, but it does block passages and with the low oil pressures the cdales have, it may be enough to harm them, and once the wears starts it don't take long from there. I only use what I plan to run in the engine. I would also put the zinc additive in with the oil I use to assemble especially if new cams are installed. over all though, I would recomend anyone to talk to one of the known builders here and consider useing what they use and how they use it. I tended to use a lot of the assembly lube and that may have been my downfall.

MX Quad Dad

#20 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (werty @ Jan 19 2014, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes it is. Brad Penn oils are high zddp. I run a 10- 30 to 10-40 semi synthetic. Both quads have no signs of wear.

I looked up the pennzoil semi synthetic (gold) and can't find any claims to having zddp. maybe they have more than one?

From everything I have read anything with API "SM" or "SN" does not contain zddp.

A good rule of thumb is, if it is aproved for any vehical (with the American emissions) after 2007 (I think that when the EPA had it removed) with a catalitic converter it most likely does not have zddp