new motor..whats the best oil to use

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
wipeout

#1 Post by wipeout »

hey what's up all,i have a newly rebuilt motor and just wondering what's the best oil to use..thanks..scott... cool.gif

who_gives_a6

#2 Post by who_gives_a6 »

That's a completely opinion based answer. Everyone has their specific choices.
Personally I run a basic oil for the initial break in and heat cycling, then change it to Amsoil full synthetic.

wipeout

#3 Post by wipeout »

thanks for the info....i'll do that.i mostly wanted to hear what other people ran for oil.

do you use the same oil in both the frame and bottom end?

kdeal

#4 Post by kdeal »

I agree with who gives a 6. The brand of the oil is personal preference, but the drill is the same. Use regular oil for break in and switch to a full synthetic afterwards. The transmission can go full synthetic from day one. The weight requirements are different for the transmission, but I have used several different ones with good results. I am still a fan of good old Honda 75/80W in the red bottle. As they use to use in the 250R 2 stroke transmissions.
Another good add-in is a zinc additive if your oil (most don't) doesn't have it in the oil already. Keeps the cams and lifters alive. Eastwood has it.
Good Luck.

wipeout

#5 Post by wipeout »

thanks for the info.all great idea's.looking forward to riding this spring..

Happyboy

#6 Post by Happyboy »

I personally run nothing but Redline oils. After seeing how they coat and stick to the parts on the transmission side I haven't turned back. Gotta love the fact it looks like you ground up a smurf.

wipeout

#7 Post by wipeout »

yea i think i'm gonna run redline oils..sounds like a great oil. ground up smurf blue...sweet.lol