Metal/Plastic Oil pump gears drive dowell pins?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
promod

#1 Post by promod »

Hey Group,

Guess just FMI as never seen posted or discussed..but might have missed due to old age, LOL!, But catching up and going through C'Dales parts notes and parts and such and was going through Metal oil pump drive gears and parts verses the later plastic ones....and noticed a different part number and sizes on the dowell pins thats used on the oil pump drive gear and scavenge pump drive gear!

Has anyone had any issues with using the dowell pins from the plastic pump gears when converting to the metal ones on either gear? should both the appropriate metal gear dowell pins be used for the conversion? (or any other partsl, as there was other pn changes!) But looking and just changing gears and checking pins when installing i never noticed anything not right fitment wise in pins not to engage gears proper!

But did i miss seeing or unnoticed a potential forthcoming of not knowing problem issue?....guess i admit i missed this information somewhere during my years of messing with them...or again..old age...forgot! ohmy.gif , but never to late to ask and learn again! huh.gif

Any knowledge appreciated as always! Ciao!

werty

#2 Post by werty »

I will be looking at this today or tomorrow night. Going from plastic to metal gears. Wondering if its a longer or shorter Dowell and that is the difference between part numbers

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

The plastic gears have longer pins for more area to bite into. If you use a short metal gear pin in a plastic gear Im sure it will tear through or fall out.

polyesterpig

#4 Post by polyesterpig »

QUOTE (werty @ Apr 14 2014, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will be looking at this today or tomorrow night. Going from plastic to metal gears. Wondering if its a longer or shorter Dowell and that is the difference between part numbers

Yes that is the difference. The diameter of the pin is the same. Some prefer the plastic gears to prevent the case from being ruined if something gets down into the pump. The gears strip out before damage gets too severe.

Blasterboy11

#5 Post by Blasterboy11 »

So going from plastic gears to metal gears id need to change the pins too? How hard are they to get?

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

Since they need to be shorter just grind the plastic ones down till they fit

promod

#7 Post by promod »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Apr 15 2014, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Since they need to be shorter just grind the plastic ones down till they fit

So John, ive replaced several plastic gears with the metal ones using the pins from the plastic gears and they fit or seemed to fit (and no issues so far!)....or did they? and possible future issues are going to happen because of not grinding them down!? ohmy.gif

wistech

#8 Post by wistech »

As long as they are the full length of the groove it should be no problem.

Canniboomer

#9 Post by Canniboomer »

there is no way that the plastic scavengegear drivepin would have fit the metal scavenge gear, unless the plastic gear had the much-shorter and very risky WRONG pin to begin with... and you could not have inserted the e-clip using the longer pin behind the metal gear. I think it's more likely that your memory is mistaken.... replaced several without grinding or replacing the long pin?.... how?

promod

#10 Post by promod »

QUOTE (Canniboomer @ Apr 15 2014, 05:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
there is no way that the plastic scavengegear drivepin would have fit the metal scavenge gear, unless the plastic gear had the much-shorter and very risky WRONG pin to begin with... and you could not have inserted the e-clip using the longer pin behind the metal gear. I think it's more likely that your memory is mistaken.... replaced several without grinding or replacing the long pin?.... how?

Hopefully Dave they did have the wrong pins, or i grabbed the correct pins in the bin when doing the jobs by luck, As all went together right! But yes, your right "I think it's more likely that MY memory is mistaken"...or i say failing! wub.gif