Engine leaking leaking oil

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Jasonboz56

#1 Post by Jasonboz56 »

My Cannondale Cannibal supposedly had a fresh updated motor when I bought it. I've only ridden one tank through it. It's leaking way too much oil. It leaked a little before but seems like it's leaking more now after I took it to the Mesquite MX track and put in 7 hard laps, it was all my old body could handle lol. Anyways it looks like I would have to remove the engine cradle to see where the leak is coming from? Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping I don't have to crack the cases. It runs awesome, if it's not a big deal as long as I keep it full of oil I'm fine with a little leak but if it can be fixed relatively inexpensively I'd like to fix it...

who_gives_a6

#2 Post by who_gives_a6 »

Could be as simple as a pinched gasket or a burr on the case causing the leak.

Sit the quad up on the grab bar and remove the cradle. That should let you see where it's leaking from. Two quads I've had that leaked at purchase actually leaked from the oil pickup cover; quick fix.

If it's the main case cover it's a little trickier but can be done without fully removing the engine and just lower it in the chassis with a jack and disconnecting a few things. Did it once before when I forgot about the cover gasket altogether after a rebuild, doh!

If the case is the problem them that's a different story so hope for the best.

Jasonboz56

#3 Post by Jasonboz56 »

Thanks for the guidance who_gives_a6, Caniboomer is walking me through some checks on the upper half then I'll pull the cradle. Thanks again as always.

Jasonboz56

#4 Post by Jasonboz56 »

So I finally pulled the cradle and while on the phone with Caniboomer discussing what it could be I saw the leak!!!! It was the oil line going into the engine down in the bottom right by the brake. It was rubbing on the side cover screw mount area and had developed a small thin leaky spot that moved when ridden causing it to leak more but when sitting it would stop leaking because it was on the top and snug up against black side cover! Ordered a hose and new inline oil magnet setup from Caniboomer! Cheap easy fix! Success!!!! Thanks again everybody that helped.