Sealants?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
promod

#1 Post by promod »

On another forum im on we got involved in discussing different sealants we all have used in the past and also now in the present on other brand engines in various locations where sometimes what you use matters, plus everyone has there own preferred brand choices!

My question is what are some of this groups choices of sealants on the C'Dale engines where sealant has to be used over and on what C'Dale recommended in the various locations like side cover to case and head overlap and waterpump cover on case and head overlap etc?

Just curious!...always seeking knowledge from the masters! wink.gif

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

I have been using black permatex silicone sealer for most of my sealing for the Cannondale motors. It doesn't displace the gasket or rubber seals and I have not had a leak in any of dozens of motors I have rebuilt in the last few years. I think the key is not to use too much sealer. I use to get occasional water leaks from the water pump seal because I use to use too much sealant and a thicker type previously. The sealer would slightly displace the seal just enough to cause a leak out the weep hole on the head. Use your sealer sparingly and you should have no issues.

promod

#3 Post by promod »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Jun 2 2014, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have been using black permatex silicone sealer for most of my sealing for the Cannondale motors. It doesn't displace the gasket or rubber seals and I have not had a leak in any of dozens of motors I have rebuilt in the last few years. I think the key is not to use too much sealer. I use to get occasional water leaks from the water pump seal because I use to use too much sealant and a thicker type previously. The sealer would slightly displace the seal just enough to cause a leak out the weep hole on the head. Use your sealer sparingly and you should have no issues.

Thanks Ken for your input, but do you use the regular black permatex silicone sealer or the black permatex silicone gasket maker sealer (there are 2 kinds)?

I have been using a sealant product by Yamaha for many years called Yamabond-4, it is pliable and works great and never had any issues with it on any engine, even the C'Dales!, i think Honda even has the same sealant labeled under HondaBond i believe, just wondering if any of you guys have tried it? its even what Yamaha and Honda uses on engines where they dont even use gaskets like crankcase halves etc...!, and yes i go along with what you said a lot of people go overboard on applying sealant...mainly silicone types which can cause issues!

Any more comments on this subject from the rest of the group welcome!

Ciao!, Mike

Kuma

#4 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (promod @ Jun 3 2014, 08:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Ken for your input, but do you use the regular black permatex silicone sealer or the black permatex silicone gasket maker sealer (there are 2 kinds)?

I have been using a sealant product by Yamaha for many years called Yamabond-4, it is pliable and works great and never had any issues with it on any engine, even the C'Dales!, i think Honda even has the same sealant labeled under HondaBond i believe, just wondering if any of you guys have tried it? its even what Yamaha and Honda uses on engines where they dont even use gaskets like crankcase halves etc...!, and yes i go along with what you said a lot of people go overboard on applying sealant...mainly silicone types which can cause issues!

Any more comments on this subject from the rest of the group welcome!

Ciao!, Mike

I use the Yamabond sealer on metal to metal seals that don't use any other gaskets or orings, like the Banshee case.

MX Quad Dad

#5 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (Kuma @ Jun 3 2014, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I use the Yamabond sealer on metal to metal seals that don't use any other gaskets or orings, like the Banshee case.

^^ X 2.

and I will tend to use no sealant where surfaces are good and I have a new gaskit. a liitle oil on o-rings and rubber seals and possibly locktite on metal seals and I tend to have real good luck

67z400

#6 Post by 67z400 »

I have also had a lot of success with yamabond. It sealed around the water pump cover when nothing else would.

B S

#7 Post by B S »

i use 1207b