Cable clutch vs hyd clutch

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
MI_CDALE_Rider

#1 Post by MI_CDALE_Rider »

Anyone know if its possible to convert a cable clutch cdale to a hydraulic clutch. I'm just curious on the possibility and the difficulty.

Thanks!

who_gives_a6

#2 Post by who_gives_a6 »

It is but couldn't help you with how. There's some factory cases like that known as unicorns. I have one even.

Happyboy

#3 Post by Happyboy »

Yes you can convert them but its a pretty big undertaking. Have to strip the case down to nothing, mill off the housing, weld up whats left, then mill it back down to accept the hydro mount, then put in all new bearing.

A few of us have done it, but it ain't fun, or cheap.

MI_CDALE_Rider

#4 Post by MI_CDALE_Rider »

QUOTE (Happyboy @ Jul 14 2014, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes you can convert them but its a pretty big undertaking. Have to strip the case down to nothing, mill off the housing, weld up whats left, then mill it back down to accept the hydro mount, then put in all new bearing.

A few of us have done it, but it ain't fun, or cheap.

Hello Happy long time, nice to see you still on here. Thanks for the info and yes it does sound like more trouble than its worth.

Thanks!

Ken

Canniboomer

#5 Post by Canniboomer »

A Magura JACK setup will work, as adapted from another bike application. Some end modding to the cable will likely be needed, and there is space in our case pocket to do some tweaking there also. I know of one X440s converted in CA, but I forget which customer it was?...

promod

#6 Post by promod »

QUOTE (MI_CDALE_Rider @ Jul 14 2014, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone know if its possible to convert a cable clutch cdale to a hydraulic clutch. I'm just curious on the possibility and the difficulty.

Thanks!

Yes, Have got several MX400 and X440S motorcycles converted to Hydro clutch using the Magura Hymec (hydraulic mechanical) Jack system! without digging through my mod files and using my getting old memory i believe the kit i used was made for the early Yamaha YZ426 and no modifications were needed to fit!..it was plug-n-play!, i gave this information to Magura USA back in the day and they were suppose to have added it to there application list!, it works great and have only broke one of the slave cylinder rods, but they did update the early slaves to use bigger diameter rods and i have not had any issues since!, but of course this kit just makes it a hydraulic-mechanical system and not a fully hydraulic operated clutch like on the later C'Dales or more modern bikes, which does work a lot better and more durable! Also a Spanish company called Hebo use to make a kit very similar to the Magura setup which was real nice, but now no-longer available! wink.gif

MI_CDALE_Rider

#7 Post by MI_CDALE_Rider »

QUOTE (Canniboomer @ Jul 14 2014, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A Magura JACK setup will work, as adapted from another bike application. Some end modding to the cable will likely be needed, and there is space in our case pocket to do some tweaking there also. I know of one X440s converted in CA, but I forget which customer it was?...

Thanks for the info Dave, I'm getting back on a Dale, Dave so you will probably hear from me sooner than later LOL

Ken

Happyboy

#8 Post by Happyboy »

Thanks. I have been horribly busy with life for a while now and haven't even had time to touch my dales. sad.gif But, been lurking for a long time making sure the site is up and running. I am never really gone. smile.gif

wistech

#9 Post by wistech »

A 300ex or 400ex clutch perch makes a world of difference on a dale. Ive been using them since day one and a magura isnt much of an improvement if at all. But then again I think most hydros are installed for the cool factor.

Happyboy

#10 Post by Happyboy »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Jul 15 2014, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A 300ex or 400ex clutch perch makes a world of difference on a dale. Ive been using them since day one and a magura isnt much of an improvement if at all. But then again I think most hydros are installed for the cool factor.

Pffff. I have had too many broken clutch cables at the wrong time to want to stick with unless there are no other options.