Rotella T6 5W-40 weight oil in the Dale?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
m_mcgranahan

#1 Post by m_mcgranahan »

Hi,

So its oil change time and I was thinking, Hmmm the Diesels use 5w-40 full synthetic oil. Since I already keep a supply of it on hand I thought I'd ask if anyone else has tried it before?

Thanks

God bless...
mark

Speed 1B

#2 Post by Speed 1B »

Lots of guys swear by rotella in everything. Even full blown race engines. I would think about running it but ive just had too much luck with amsoil to switch. Ive not looked at the specs in depth on the rotella but remember our cams like alot of zinc. SG rating.

rayspeed

#3 Post by rayspeed »

That is all I have ever used in the engine side... best synthetic oil you can get for your money IMHO. It can be used in the trans side too but I sometimes use bel ray gear saver oil in there. I used to use red line shock proof lightweight in there years ago but I hated it if I had to go inside for any reason.
Sorry I never got back to you on the TI... our scrap bin for that got cleaned out and I have not seen any since.

Speed 1B

#4 Post by Speed 1B »

QUOTE (rayspeed @ Aug 1 2014, 04:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is all I have ever used in the engine side... best synthetic oil you can get for your money IMHO. It can be used in the trans side too but I sometimes use bel ray gear saver oil in there. I used to use red line shock proof lightweight in there years ago but I hated it if I had to go inside for any reason.
Sorry I never got back to you on the TI... our scrap bin for that got cleaned out and I have not seen any since.

No problem. I use gear saver in the tranny too. Never had a issue with it and it seems to shift awesome.

Rally2

#5 Post by Rally2 »

I run T6 in my Dodge Cummins, Subaru STI, street bikes, dirt bikes, lawnmower, pressure washer

who_gives_a6

#6 Post by who_gives_a6 »

I never had issues with Rotella specifically but did notice it seemed to burn off awful fast and allowed a noisier engine. Only tried it in my wife's GSXR600 and my ZX636. Switched back to Amsoil and oil level hardly depleted between changes/smoother running engine. Could just be the southwest heat having a greater affect on the Rotella though. Not knocking it at all. Just my experience.

polyesterpig

#7 Post by polyesterpig »

Diesel oil not the best choice for gas engines per this article

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32279

wistech

#8 Post by wistech »

Diesels at least medium and heavy duty diesels of old could run a million miles because they were built that way ,not because of the oil they used. Huge lightly loaded bearings and journals with a low speed valve trains meant parts ran a long time before failure. The big thing about diesel oil is it is made to deal with the soot that deisel engine make.

What is wearing out in a cannondale engine? We know that the stock bearing cage wear out prematurly because of the design of the cage itself not because of the oil . Cams go bad because of the spring fatigue ,buckets sticking from bore warpage and surface treatments of buckets and lobes. No oil is going to save a bucket with a lobe bouncing off the back side because its floating at 10000 rpm. Oil is not going to save a crank bearing that is not perfectly true. Oil will not keep a wiseco piston skirt from caving in.

Bottom line if you want an engine to last do your best to build the engine to last. The oil should be a secondary concern.

bigfoot17

#9 Post by bigfoot17 »

Well said

Niner

#10 Post by Niner »

QUOTE (bigfoot17 @ Aug 2 2014, 08:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well said

I used the Rotella T synthetic in my 2002 e440 engine and ran Amsoil in the tranny from 2003 until 2009 when the MG valve cover died. Had the engine rebuilt by Black Widow ATV last year got it back about Thanksgiving of 2013. My buddy's boss is a Amsoil salesman so I switched over to Amsoil for everything. Have not noticed any difference in how the bike runs. If I didn't buy 5 gallons of Amsoil I would probably go back to Rotella since its way cheaper.