Case Cracked

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
fast moto

#1 Post by fast moto »

Well i finally got my motor all back together and in the quad, went to break it in and noticed tranny oil leaking on the front of the motor by the mount. Took a closer look and found this crack, just wanted to get some opinions on why this could have happened and the best way to go about fixing it. Was obviously going to weld it, but should i tell the welder to do anything special like put a gusset anywhere?

[attachment=13304:IMG_3295.JPG]
[attachment=13305:IMG_3296.JPG]
[attachment=13306:IMG_3306.JPG]

yamadjs08

#2 Post by yamadjs08 »

Well its at a stress point right near the mount ear. How long has it had the motor mount update?

That is an earlier style case as well, which are known for being a little stronger than the later cases.

Definitely looks like it could be welded though! cool.gif

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

When installing the spacer it needs to be shimmed or machined so its tight enough to hold itself between the 2 mounting ears. If it wasnt and you tighten the through bolt it will bend the case to take up the clearance like what you have there. You will need to pull the engine and take the side cover off and have a welder thoroughly clean and groove the area to weld it but it should be ok . You might want to pressure test the case after welding to be sure the crack doesnt go through between the engine oil side to the tranny side and dab a little silicone in that area to prevent transfer of oil.

fast moto

#4 Post by fast moto »

I have had that motor mount update for a longtime, but if the through bolt is not tight i can roll the spacer between the mounts so i will have to shim it after getting it welded.
Thanks for the info

Kuma

#5 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (fast moto @ Dec 21 2014, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have had that motor mount update for a longtime, but if the if the through bolt is not tight i can roll the spacer between the mounts so i will have to shim it after getting it welded.
Thanks for the info

I have a case if interested, had a wrist pin let go and it has some internal damage where the plate is above the sump but I don't see it having any operational effect.

fast moto

#6 Post by fast moto »

Thanks for the offer, but i just got the motor back from the welder today and it looks pretty solid, so I'm going to run it and see if it holds together. I'm hoping Dave can hook me up with one of his adjustable spacers so i can prevent any play between the motor ears.