Rotate fuel pump inlet?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
bigfoot17

#1 Post by bigfoot17 »

Can I rotate the fuel pump inlet to make the fuel line not have such a sharp bend?

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

Yes but when you loosen the top bolt make sure to use a backup wrench on pump or you might twist off the end of the pump.

yamadjs08

#3 Post by yamadjs08 »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Jan 19 2015, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes but when you loosen the top bolt make sure to use a backup wrench on pump or you might twist off the end of the pump.

Good advice! I've actually done this before.

Also try and use a 6 point on it, I've stripped the head out before on a seized fuel pump banjo bolt with a 12 point wrench. They are pretty soft.

Canniboomer

#4 Post by Canniboomer »

You might consider to change the inlet fitting and re-route the hose to it as needed, while you are at it... it really makes a big difference.
Our pump inlets should be larger than the outlets, as with any kind of pump that pushes against a higher outlet pressure.
After the change, you might notice a quieter pump, a slight boost in fuel pressure, and an audibly higher idle speed.
The Dirtbike-90 inlet array is $10 in a forged 1/4 or 5/16 nipple. The ATV-135 bend is $12 in the 5/16 size. Note, even the stock small fuel filters can be trimmed back to the 5/16 outlet shoulder anyway.
That is an easy change to do, even with the inlet hose at the same 1/4".
Changing out the stock fuel lines alone does nothing to improve performance. That will only improve safety, assuming you used the 30R9 injection hose and sleeved everything better and to avoid rubbing etc... To get the performance boost at the same time, you need to at least gut all 4 tank fittings, which I think you already did -- great. But just a suggestion to all,... don't ignore that extremely skimpy pump inlet.