Trans Fluid Milky

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
bigfoot17

#1 Post by bigfoot17 »

The bike that just got rebuilt has milky looking trans fluid. It is Rotella,so I know what color it should be. I start it about once a week to circulate oils and coolant. No ride time,been in heated garage since rebuild.
Coolant level is fine.
Wistech,I PM'd you.

[attachment=13374:milky_trans.JPG]

yamadjs08

#2 Post by yamadjs08 »

Have you ridden in any deep water lately? Water can get in the trans through the vent hose.

I would drain it to get a better look.

bigfoot17

#3 Post by bigfoot17 »

I haven't ridden it at all. Drained it tonight and it looks and feels like a chocolate shake. I am leaving the plug out tonight. Does not look good. sad.gif

cannonman

#4 Post by cannonman »

I'd say you've got the same problem I did, which is why mine is in the process of a rebuild. The gasket under the head went bad on mine, they call it the alien ear gasket. Think the piston pin cover o ring was leakin alittle too, looked alittle flat in places. That's where I'd check.

kdeal

#5 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (cannonman @ Feb 1 2015, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd say you've got the same problem I did, which is why mine is in the process of a rebuild. The gasket under the head went bad on mine, they call it the alien ear gasket. Think the piston pin cover o ring was leakin alittle too, looked alittle flat in places. That's where I'd check.

Wouldn't that put the water in your engine oil? His problem is the transmission side of the motor. Only the piston pin access cover or a crack high in the block would cause water in the tranny oil.

PS: What kind of coolant are you running? If it has any color to it, it would show up in the tranny oil.......

cannonman

#6 Post by cannonman »

Bad alien ear gasket will too, the ears on the gasket go all the way to the tranny side.

bigfoot17

#7 Post by bigfoot17 »

After the rebuild,I had drained the coolant to remove the radiator and replace the fuel lines. At that time,that coolant did not appear low. I replaced the coolant with regular green coolant. Couple days later is when I noticed the milky look. It could have been there for weeks.
So now I have drained the tranny and am leaving the drain plug out. I have loosened the coolant cap. I have checked it daily and the coolant level has not dropped yet. It may take a while if there is a leak, so I will watch it for a couple weeks.
Can't ride anyway. Too much cold and snow.

Canniboomer

#8 Post by Canniboomer »

It's more likely to be a pressure-only leak. That Rad cap is about 16psi, so maybe it's only leaking when you run the motor for those periodic warm-ups.
It's harder to detect coolant loss from the dirtbike radiator, compared to the ATV. Even a mere 1/8" drop in level could really goo things up the gearcase.

bigfoot17

#9 Post by bigfoot17 »

A brief update. I let the bike sit with the trans drain plug out and the radiator cap off for more than a week. No sign of coolant loss.
Then I filled the trans with 600cc's of fresh oil,tightened the radiator cap and have run the bike through several start stop cycles. The trans oil does not appear to be milky. I am going to drain and refill one more time this weekend.

yamadjs08

#10 Post by yamadjs08 »

Good deal, maybe it was a fluke some how? Hopefully it stays clean!