Dying While Riding-Oil Out Of Breather

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
flat bill ron

#1 Post by flat bill ron »

Hey guys, I have a Blaze (from what I was told) that has been giving me some problems since I picked it up.

Some background info on the quad:

Bought it 3 years ago when I went to buy a bunch of parts. Guy threw in the quad for a price I couldn't pass up. He was told the motor had been rebuilt by a member on here (I'll have to look through my papers to see who it was) and the quad is in very nice shape...not beat up or neglected by any means. Was told the motor was updated but who knows...it does appear to have a lot of Canniboomer updates externally though.

WARNING: Lots of useless info I'm sure...

Late Fall 2012: I rode the quad after I brought it home and it ran great...no problems. It sat for a few months (started occasionally) as I moved to a rental house, which is a story all by itself...

Winter 2013: A buddy of mine was over and wanted to hear it run so I went to fire it up and it just cranked and cranked and cranked. Pulled the spark plug and it was fouled. Black and wet with fuel. Fired another plug in it and it fired right up.

Summer 2013: Rode the quad for hours...started stalling out and not wanting to crank. Seemed like an electrical issue...found the positive terminal on the battery loosened up and caused all my problems. Was fine after I got it home and tightened.

April/May 2014: Stressed out over our POS house we were renting...decided to clear my head and go riding with my brother. This was maybe the third or fourth time I've ever ridden it. Quad ran great for hours. Toward the end the quad would start to stall out if you were putting around and not running it hard. Was a pain to start back up too...you had to lightly give it some throttle to make it fire and keep it alive. We went to go cool off by a spring and that's when the quad died and would not start back up. I would get lucky and get some backfires or it would run for a few seconds but always stalled out quickly. Started getting pissed off because I was trapped in the woods on a big hill where we couldn't get a vehicle and I had an appointment with a real estate agent in an hour to get me out of the POS house we were renting. I got frustrated and decided to let my brother mess with it...he got it fired up somehow after it sat a few minutes and we took off getting it back to the truck.

Moved into a house that I love (no more dealing with cheap idiot Landlord) July of last year. Angry with the quad I decide to yank the battery and put it in my other Cannondale. Rode my Cannibal only once summer of 2014 because my brother broke his wrist on his RM250 (I should upload the video lol) and he's really all I ride with. His wrist is doing well and we are getting the itch to go riding again this spring...but his bike it pretty beat up after his wreck and will need some work. I offer to let him ride the Blaze but obviously I want to find out why it's dying in the woods.

Last night I bought an Autozone Duralast Gold battery (rebranded Deka! Even same p/n etx9) for cheap and to my surprise the quad fired up. It still has the same plug that got me stranded in the woods and same year old fuel. It seemed to idle a little low and needed some throttle to get it going but it ran. Almost seemed like it would load up and need some throttle to clear it out, followed by some smoke. I shut the quad off and this morning I found a pool of what seems like oil under it. Oil appears to be coming out of the breather that's under the ECU tray (I think its one of those Boomer mini filters). I didn't notice oil shooting out while it was running, seems like it came out after it was shut off and sat over night. I fired it up again and didn't notice any dripping while running. I checked the oil level and it was right in the middle between the notch and end of the dipstick.

Does anyone have suggestions as to what I should check? I assumed oil could have been overfilled by last owner but seemed fine on the dipstick. Now I'm worried it has excess crank case pressure but I need to do a leak down to verify. My brother thinks it may be burning oil and fouling the plug but that seems odd since it was supposedly rebuilt...but who knows if that's accurate. Bad rings to me kind of makes sense if it is burning oil, fouling plugs, and causing oil to blow out of the breather but I don't want to condemn the engine just yet. I've torn my Cannibal a part a hundred times and know the machine somewhat ok but I've never dived into the engines on these things.

Thanks,
Ron

rayspeed

#2 Post by rayspeed »

That is allot of info to digest...
The oil in the frame can seep down into the crankcase when left for a long time sitting or sometimes even a short time. There are a couple places it can be getting there but it boils down to not really being a big issue as long as there is not even just a little too much oil in it because it can get so high as to get some on top of the piston. Seems like you might just be on the edge of too much oil as to foul the plug... any more and it usually comes out the exhaust and really smokes then.
Best way I know how to check oil is with it running and a flashlight look down the dipstick hole and oil should be well dimpled by rushing into that hole. Not over that hole to where you dont see the dimple and not rushing so fast down the hole that you can see the oil is way below that.
Most here will tell you 1.5 quarts at oil change no more no less but it depends on how well you drain it... ie tipping it on its side like I do it will take a little more... draining it cold after sitting a long time a little more etc.
Personally if I were you and only started the machine after long sitting periods drain the crankcase into something clean and pouring it back into the frame would not be a bad idea.
The idle on these needs to be 21-2200 rpm which is uncomfortably high compared to other four stroke quads... the idle screw can back off themselves just from vibration which is why I use a little pink locktite on them when set. It too low all kinds of things can give you trouble including not enough scavenging of the oil sump.

flat bill ron

#3 Post by flat bill ron »

I'm going to change the oil here in a little bit...to make sure it's not over full. I hooked up the D&M kit and yes the idle was way low dipping down to 1300 RPM at times. Adjusted the idle up to around 2000-2100 like you said. Also, the throttle cal was way off...starts up nice now but after reading some threads I feel like the tune is no good. My INJ flow rate was 2603 and offset was .86 or .88. What is a proper flow rate to adjust offset off of?

Thanks,
Ron

rayspeed

#4 Post by rayspeed »

That flow rate and offset are what populates automatically when you open any stock map... it gets loaded when somebody does not enter and check the box for a new flow rate and offset. Best way is to pm kdeal with your vin and he can get you the stock settings if you dont have them already. Any bike would be way too lean with those settings and hard starting... you will be amazed how different it runs with the right map and settings.