whats the nexts step?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
cannondalemaine

#1 Post by cannondalemaine »

No noise nothing b4 this happened....i thought maybe oil seized till i saw coolant dripping out of the exhaust....its all thru the oil has anyone seen this and if it can b fixed? Spark plug smushed and coolant on top of piston when i took plug out..

Sorry i cant upload a pic for some reason

ShifT714

#2 Post by ShifT714 »

Don't think you meant to put this in the for sale section?

You mean the spark plug is crushed like something hit it? I'm still new to Cannondale engines but coolant ontop of the piston sounds like a bad head gasket.

wanablaze

#3 Post by wanablaze »

Yep, or maybe a rotted valve cover. Time for a tear down. If there is coolant on top of the piston it could have damaged the spark plug (liquids do not compress), hopefully no bent parts!

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

Id say cracked sleeve but if the spark plug is smashed that means something hard hit it and coolant isnt going to do that . Check for a hole in the air filter letting chunks in, screw missing from throttle plate..

kdeal

#5 Post by kdeal »

what he said + dropped valve.....

Look down the intake and exhaust ports for carnage like missing or bent valves.

cannondalemaine

#6 Post by cannondalemaine »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Apr 12 2015, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what he said + dropped valve.....

Look down the intake and exhaust ports for carnage like missing or bent valves.

Ya didnt mean to put it into this topic...but thx on the replys the right exhaust valve looks bent... trying to upload pics so u guys can c it..i know piston junk that valve is junk..any of u think it could b saved? If its a sleeve,piston,valve etc. No holes anywhere no missing throttle body bolts.

cannondalemaine

#7 Post by cannondalemaine »

Crank was bent,sleeve cracked.two valves broke off the other two bent. The head was destroyed..idk where it started from my guess it floated a valve then the rest happened. But the original crank bearings look gd still..
Does anyone know where i could get those parts? Maybe all in one package or what not? Thx

rayspeed

#8 Post by rayspeed »

I am a bit ahead of myself on engine parts right now since everything I have has held together for the last couple of years.
Went on a core parts buying binge on ebay a while back and sent them all to timbo and he gave them everything they needed all set up and ready to go.
So I could probably part with a head, piston kit and crank for what I have into them but I would use it eventually so I am not giving anything away but I will take at least something close to what I got into them to help you out.

Starting with the heads I considered myself lucky to average about $225 for good cores with cams.
So this is what was done to the heads...
$60 new valves
$25 sticky bucket machining
$50 decomp rebuild
$8 impeller seal
$3 valve seals
$64 new buckets
$75 valve seat machining
$30 labor for valve shimming and assembly

So that works out to $540 give or take and remember that I gambled on these and took them apart and cleaned them before sending them to Timbo... they are perfect now.

I grabbed a few cranks for a hundred bucks but half of them were junk and getting a new bearing put in and gone over was about $150 so the least I will take for a crank would be $350.
I have dimpless liner and piston kits from Dave that were $160 I think.
Also keep in mind that I had to pay shipping back and forth for this stuff.

Let me know if any of that would help you out.