coolant reservoir tank exploded

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
TheFarm1019

#1 Post by TheFarm1019 »

I just picked up a Cannibal 440 on Friday and about 15 minutes into riding around on it, I heard a "pop" sound and coolant went all over, later to find out the coolant resevoir tank had spider cracked everywhere. I barely touched it, and it broke into a bunch of pieces. I'm really really hoping this happened just from the tank being extremely brittle and already looked like it was starting to Crack from before. What else could cause pressure enough to do that? I removed the tank and put little plastic baggies over each hose, zip tied them tight, and ran it for another 10+ minutes and I couldn't get anything to come out of the hoses and when the rpms build, a slight amount of air pressure fills up the baggie that I have over the large hose going from the tank to the radiator. Could I get an explanation on the cooling systems on these? Also, the fan seemed to run excessively, especially after the first time I rode it around, it continued to run for over a minute after I shut the machine off.

Canniboomer

#2 Post by Canniboomer »

Coolant bottle is vented to blow out thru the cap at 1.2 bar or 17 psi. Seems your impeller is pushing air, not coolant.
The bottle is only up there to maintain the fluid level ABOVE the impeller chamber. Coolant in the bottle is the same pressure as thoughout the radiator and head.
You might have a plugged up bleeder port from corrosion, and need more than just a replacement bottle and cap. Call for misc parts and what all to check for.
The ATV is really quite efficient for cooling capacity, if all is right.

TheFarm1019

#3 Post by TheFarm1019 »

So I will need a new cap too? Dang. Where can I find all the bleeder screws? Is there a diagram somewhere?