Folan Engine On Ebay

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
kdeal

#1 Post by kdeal »

Don't tell Promod but there is a complete Folan motor on Ebay right now. I think it fits his cardboard motorcycle!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CANNONDALE-MOTORCY...40f&vxp=mtr

laugh.gif

promod

#2 Post by promod »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Aug 26 2015, 09:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't tell Promod but there is a complete Folan motor on Ebay right now. I think it fits his cardboard motorcycle!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CANNONDALE-MOTORCY...40f&vxp=mtr

laugh.gif

Sorry, Already seen it and don't need another, have one complete engine and one partial engine already just sitting as paperweights and one on a bike and a lot of extra parts for them, and at that price he can keep it, I think its something you need! tongue.gif

kdeal

#3 Post by kdeal »

Does yours have the weird crank sensor location and the mechanical fuel injection?

who_gives_a6

#4 Post by who_gives_a6 »

I hate to be the sqeeky wheel here but maybe it's because I was late to the CDale party, I don't know, but what was the decision to go away from the Folan design before production? I can't seem to find much info on that whole situation. Was it a poor design or what ultimately led to its demise and cannondale using the engine we've all come to either love or hate....with a passion? Haha.

kdeal

#5 Post by kdeal »

They went thru several designs. This particular one was a front exhaust model. There was others including another reverse cylinder design. I even saw one in the beginning that looked like a Husaberg!

Cannondale was hell bent on having their own unique motor. They wanted several innovations to make their stuff bigger and badder than everyone else. They succeeded by being named motorcycle of the year before the bike was ever rolled out the door! Unfortunately when the media got their hands on one there was still too many bugs and they shredded the bike in the press.

promod

#6 Post by promod »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Aug 27 2015, 09:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They went thru several designs. This particular one was a front exhaust model. There was others including another reverse cylinder design. I even saw one in the beginning that looked like a Husaberg!.

Cannondale was **** bent on having their own unique motor. They wanted several innovations to make their stuff bigger and badder than everyone else. They succeeded by being name motorcycle of the year before the bike was ever rolled out the door! Unfortunately when the media got their hands on one there was still too many bugs and they shredded the bike in the press.

Ken is pretty well correct, although no Folan engines ever had the reverse cylinder head design, that happened with C'Dale's own first designed WJ series engine, then the JD series and then to the basic engines we know today.

But with several engineers hired that worked also for Folan, Husaberg and Husqvarna at one time the spark started the fire.

The phone call from C'Dale to Folan came in may 1997, So as a test bike for the project C'Dale bought a Honda CR250R and replaced the engine with a hybrid Folan/Husaberg FX400 engine which used the short stroke Folan crankshaft, cylinder, cylinder head, piston and throttle body and a few other parts and the engine was called the S100.

Some of the first C'Dale/Folan Proto's used kickstart and they also played with carbs but of course FI was there destination, then the kickstart mechanism was removed and case welded up as again electric start was the thing C'Dale wanted, The S100 had a bore and stroke of 95mm x56.3mm = 399cc they named this bike jokingly Folonda as a working name.

After the early tests with several Folan and Folan Husaberg hybrids Folan made the engine Just for Cannondale which was called the Folan S100 that stands for single, 1cyl , 0 degrees (cylinder is straight up).

Maximum of 5 Folan engines of this type was made for Cannondale according to documents, but really have seen more....so who really knows.

Later the I.P.R. of the Folan S100 engine was sold off to Highland in Sweden, as Folan came out with another revamped version (and several other version including v-twins) after they called it quits with C'Dale and that engine was the S104...which is still available from them today in 350, 450 and 507cc models!

But of course all this happened with a dream by Joe M. to build a all American made off-road motorcycle....which they did!

But as Ken stated...with Dirt Rider magazine naming them bike of the year even before the first production bike was made, C'Dale had to release something...and they did...just to soon....and again we all know the rest of the story!

But I personally still give them Kudo's for doing something no one else has ever done before or since with what they done, not even other companies claiming to make USA off-road bikes back in the day like ATK, AMD (American dirt bike) and a few others that tried....as they never used there own USA designed and built engine!, Should C'Dale have stayed hooked up with Folan and let them manufacture the engine...maybe so....but would it be the bike that had the world turned upside down even if for the short time...probably not....and would it still have survived...probably not as its tough to compete with the Asian manufacturers even though there are several Euro companies like KTM, Husqvarna and GasGas that held its place in time, but then again it looks like GasGas's fate don't look to good right now....which is another shame!....just my own opinion anyway!

promod

#7 Post by promod »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Aug 26 2015, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does yours have the weird crank sensor location and the mechanical fuel injection?

Yes and No, Yes and No, and one on bike is Carbureted! huh.gif

promod

#8 Post by promod »

Looks like someone bought the Folan engine!

Was it someone on here?

They got a nice almost complete engine and a piece of history...kinda/sorta..as it was a Folan engine!

Hope it gets used maybe to be somehow be put in a production bike or quad C'Dale frame if not a early prototype bike frame which is completely diff if someone else out there has one!

Just hope it wasn't bought to be put into some kind of crazy contraption like I have seen a lot of people do...like a Snapper drag tractor! LOL!....but whoever bought it and no offense if it was someone on here as its there's now to do as they wish, but again if it was someone on here please let us know as we all are trying to keep up with C'Dale's history!

And if anyone on here bought it....Congrats on a nice piece, and if need any help with it I have a good friend and key contact at Folan in Sweden and have a couple of PDF parts sheets, and a few spare parts for it!

yamadjs08

#9 Post by yamadjs08 »

I don't think it sold ProMod. Message him and feel him out, everyone is negotiable. He probably just put some ridiculous number on it hoping some CDale nut like you would pay it! tongue.gif biggrin.gif

I wish I could have went to the bankruptcy sale, although I probably would have bankrupted myself buying all sorts of unnecessary stuff.

promod

#10 Post by promod »

QUOTE (yamadjs08 @ Sep 1 2015, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think it sold ProMod. Message him and feel him out, everyone is negotiable. He probably just put some ridiculous number on it hoping some CDale nut like you would pay it! tongue.gif biggrin.gif

I wish I could have went to the bankruptcy sale, although I probably would have bankrupted myself buying all sorts of unnecessary stuff.

According to the eBay listing a best offer price was accepted and it sold,...But of course being a eBay'r for almost 15 years I have seen a lot of shill bidding by other sellers friends and family to run bids up, and same on best offers to make you offer more, But I am pretty sure it sold, While the listing was active I was in direct email communication with the seller as I know who he is and have bought a lot of things from him over the years as he primarily deals in vintage motorcycle literature etc..!

But was trying to make a direct deal (off eBay!) with him on it, and in one of his direct email replies he stated he had a great high dollar pending offer on it, and after he stated that I didn't even try to make a offer to him as I wasn't even going to offer close to what he might have wanted out of it or someone else offered as I stated before I didn't need another paperweight...but again like you said he could have been just feeling me out, as I kept asking him what's it going to take to buy it, and after I sent him the last email the item was sold before he replied!

I knew he has had this engine for over 5 years as he sent me pics of it before along with some other C'Dale stuff he bought at the auction after I asked him about any C'Dale stuff he might have, which I did buy quit a bit of rare stuff from him way back then, but he was suppose to got back to me on the engine with a price but never did even after several emails a years still asking about it...and he would always reply I will get back to you and you have first shot at it...but never got that shot, then I seen it pop up on eBay when it did and still had his direct contact info so that's when I contacted him again!

But yes in a way when he first sent pics and he was really clueless on what it was and I filled him in on the details of it....I probably just cut my own throat by doing so as then he probably thought he just hit the jackpot!

But since it sold (or presumably sold!) I sent him another email yesterday on it kind of asking where it might have went as staying here in the states or bought abroad just for my own C'Dale history preservation knowledge...but as of yet he has not replied back!

But if I could have bought it right I would have...but as you stated I cant afford to put myself close to bankruptcy buying unnecessary stuff as I have a shop full of that kind of stuff already I have bought before that I just had to have....as C'Dale's bankruptcy almost put me there with my KTM, C'Dale, Arctic Cat dealership in '03 as I lost my dealership and came real close to almost losing everything!....And people always still ask why do you still have so much passion for the C'Dale's after that....my reply....which is a quote from another MC company..."If I had to explain...you wouldn't understand"!

But its a small world...so we will see if it pops up again...or the seller contacts me or if someone on here chimes in and says they got it...which would make me happy knowing it went to C'Dale people like us!