Motor was Hydrolocked

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
eric15

#1 Post by eric15 »

alright so I went riding probably a month or two ago and ran great, got home started up fine put er away and its been sitting since. Went to get it out yesterday and it wouldn't start, long story short I ended up pulling the plug out and there was a ton of oil and gas in the cylinder. Enough that it hydrolocked the engine and cause it not to start. Cleaned it out and got it started, smoked like crazy for a min or two then cleared out, ran it around a bit and ran fine. Let it sit for a bit and started back up no problem no smoke or anything. I did notice though that there is gas in my oil. Going to do change the oil but I am concerned as to what other problems I have going on to get all that in the cylinder and to get gas in my oil. You guys have any thoughts or suggestions? thanks

MX Quad Dad

#2 Post by MX Quad Dad »

there are many threads here on hydrolocking and what causes it (use search). I do not remember any on fuel in the oil. maybe a bad fuel press regulator?

fuel in the oil may make it easier for the oil to bypass the check ball

fuel in the oil would also make the oil tank over full which an over full oil level is another cause of hydrolocking but if the engine was running that rich on the last ride I think you would have noticed it.

or was just the oil above the piston loaded with fuel. because if you tried turning it over multipul times, it would give a shot of fuel each time you hit the start buttonand the fuel pump cycled

eric15

#3 Post by eric15 »

I did try and start it multiple times before I pulled the plug because at first I thought the starter took a poop since I'd hit the button and it would only click so I"m thinking I flooded the heck out of it. I changed the oil today and it smelled like gas but as far as it running it ran great, started up fine and didn't smoke one bit after sitting for about 24 hours. I don't know to much about the internals of the engine and didnt get a chance to search much on this checkball. After a little searching though I noticed a few times I'd seen people say they add 1.5 quarts of oil on an oil change? Is this a full drain? like frame, crank, and filter? I've always drained them all and put back in around 2.5 quarts which is what the guy I bought it from told me to use, well he said about 2300cc. Have I been over filling all these years and just been getting luck?

kdeal

#4 Post by kdeal »

That's where the gas is coming from. Every time you tap the start button or try to start the motor a shot of gas goes into the intake track. That is the main reason why you never use the throttle to start the motor.

eric15

#5 Post by eric15 »

right right thats what I was kinda thinking on the gas. So we are suppose to be going on a 4 day riding trip tomorrow... sounds like it should be ok to ride?

kdeal

#6 Post by kdeal »

Yes, you will be fine. It can happen again when sitting for a few weeks, but you know how to clear it now.