Cracked Engine Case

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
mmxchamp

#1 Post by mmxchamp »

Hi All -

I picked this Speed up earlier this year for fairly cheap; came with nerf bars and aftermarket exhaust. I finally got around to tearing the motor out, and so far the internals look pretty clean; haven't got down to the crank or piston yet though. Doesn't look like it had any internal work done; OEM gaskets (I think) and all stock crankplate/transmission bolts. No update to front engine mounts; still had 2 bolts. There was also the original Magnesium Camshaft Cover - this was leaking, and why I got it so cheap. Pics of that also below.

There is a crack in the engine case on the very bottom of the front right side head bolt; way below where the actual bolt ends. See pic. I'll see if it goes all the way through to the cylinder, but just wondering if anyone has seen this before. Let me know - guess I might be looking for a new engine case, looks like this one may be no good dry.gif

mmxchamp

#2 Post by mmxchamp »

Another picture of the crack. Hard to tell, but it goes around the curve and continues for maybe 1/3" or so.

mmxchamp

#3 Post by mmxchamp »

Magnesium cover

mmxchamp

#4 Post by mmxchamp »

Timing chain stuff; looks pretty good. I'll get pics of the piston and crank in a few hours.

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

Ive seen 20 or so cracked cases. A couple were just like that one. I wouldnt repair that one. Its a stressed area.

mmxchamp

#6 Post by mmxchamp »

JB Weld not gonna do it? biggrin.gif tongue.gif

Best suggestions on where to find a non-cracked case? If too many are damaged I could see supply being an issue at some point...

mmxchamp

#7 Post by mmxchamp »

No pictures because I couldn't get any decent ones, but it does not look like the crack goes through to the sleeve bore - though I suppose eventually it would make it's way there!