Smoking blue/ smoke rings and loading up no start

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
DBlanchette

#1 Post by DBlanchette »

I have and 03 e440. Bought at 22hrs. Basically a new bike. Started smoking, as a mechanic I know it's oil in the cylinder: way more than there should be. Is there a fix? I heard of this check valve, that feeds oil from spars to crankcase. Is this the problem or is there more? Any help appreciated thanks.

Canniboomer

#2 Post by Canniboomer »

The problem is common to every Cannondale, and is NOT the checkball.. that is a bogus diagnosis... and repeated by now for a decade.. WRONG. By design, and overlooked... they ALL must eventually wick and leak oil from the frame to the sump.. and eventually OVER the piston just depending what elevation the piston stopped. They ALL will leak at some rate.. depending on temp and oil viscosity, and hours of wear to the balance shaft driveshaft that rotates the pump... the pumpdrive was Not sealed, and seepage WILL happen every machine at some rate... and ALL seepage is unfiltered by the way. I have a permanent fix, but can only be done during a full motor teardown.. In interim, you can do things to avoid problem. For a rather new machine, just leave rhe engine drainplug out for several days for max drainout, and call for other tips.. Good purchase IMO, congrats.

Canniboomer

#3 Post by Canniboomer »

I once had a machine that kept smoking blue after a long storage time. It was perfect normal before being parked.
And the common hydrolock seepage should burn away within 5 minutes.
But this one kept burning oil consistently for days. Frustrated, I finally tried an overdose of CD-2 Oil treatment.. in the yellow bottle.. It worked! I was surprised and lucky, since additives don't normally work... but yeah we sometimes try them anyway -- before yanking out motors.

Canniboomer

#4 Post by Canniboomer »

Also check the airbox for puked oil, which can get deep enough to bounce around and down into the throttle body.
The 03 E440 should have the venting hose routed into the bottom of airbox. I prefer the 02 version which has a straight hose going down to the belly pan, bypassing the airbox...for a much cleaner throttle body over time. It's a good change to revert back anyway, with some 3/8 hose and a coupler.. clamps not needed. Just be sure to cap off the airbox port (bottom left front corner)