Spark plug issue: wow

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
who_gives_a6

#1 Post by who_gives_a6 »

Anyone ever seen this happen? Quad hadn't started in a few months and had oil in the cylinder. Removed plug and it looked fine. Shot some of the oil out and reinstalled plug. I got it finger tight and then put the ratchet on it. Barely turned it, (not even tightened down) and the threaded part snapped off.

I can look down and see that it's threaded in straight and all in one piece. Doesn't appear to be any particles on the piston but for the life of me I can't think of a way to remove it without dropping the engine.

Anyone see this before or have an idea? If not then out it comes again.
[attachment=13944:IMG_2017...01550830.jpg]

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

I would go after the piece with a big easy out and a socket and ratchet. If you didn't tighten it too tight, should come out fairly easy. Since there is only metal left on the threaded part, whack it a few times with a hammer to set the easy out and try to back it out.

promod

#3 Post by promod »

QUOTE (kdeal @ May 31 2017, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would go after the piece with a big easy out and a socket and ratchet. If you didn't tighten it too tight, should come out fairly easy. Since there is only metal left on the threaded part, whack it a few times with a hammer to set the easy out and try to back it out.

That's what I was going to recommend also Ken! Guess we are on the same page of thinking!

I have always prayed that never happened to me on my C'Dale's or any other bike I own where the plug is so deep into the cylinder head, When I change the plugs on my 3-cylinder Triumph Sport Touring bike it almost scares me when getting ready to install (That is making sure there going in straight!) and tightening them up as they use those 12mm threaded spark plugs also and are in there deeper than the C'Dale's are!

I understand why they use smaller threaded spark plugs!.....But I do hate them! ohmy.gif

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

Since the threads are not under tension anymore I think they should spin back out. Perhaps the long taper remover with very gentle pressure is what I would do. If you hammer it in it will spread and lock the theads into the head. You could also pack some grease down into the hole and use a left hand drill bit just larger than the hole. Im sure it will catch or slowly work the threads out. Id also stay away from the gimmick plugs. Quality on many of them is just terrible.

who_gives_a6

#5 Post by who_gives_a6 »

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Going to try a few things this evening. Basically just finger tight so hopefully it'll come out.

This was an NGK Iridium CR8EIX. Surprised this happened. Plug has only been installed one time and was new June 2016.

who_gives_a6

#6 Post by who_gives_a6 »

Well, got it out. Ended up using an amazing "special tool". Haha. A harbor freight flathead screwdriver that they gave out for free with purchase awhile back in a kit. Fit in there perfectly and didn't take much to get it out.

Probed a flexible magnet around the head and only got one small fragment up so looks like it was a clean removal. New plug and it fired right up and runs like a champ.

Thanks for the suggestions but ended up being way easier than expected. Can't get the photo small enough to upload this time..