Voltage regulator output not enough for lithium

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
funmachines

#1 Post by funmachines »

I have a quad voltage regulator along with a quad stator in my e440. I checked voltage level of the regulator and it's right around 13.6 and peaks about 13.9. It's not quite enough for charging a lithium battery. It looks like it's potted up so I don't think I can modify the circuit. Do the regulators output voltage vary from part to part or all they all under 14 v? Is there a known swap for a similar current level regulator using a similar stator that would work?

Thanks

polyesterpig

#2 Post by polyesterpig »

I have a lithium battery in my E440 and no problem with charging. Stock stator and regulator.

Canniboomer

#3 Post by Canniboomer »

The HD Motorcycle Vreg has about a third more epoxy mass, and heavier wires than the ATV version. It also weighs a few more ounces.
I have them in stock est $99, and it mounts in the same location with an adapter mountplate kit I include with them. Deutsch plug fyi.

You are not the first to have issues with Lithiums in the Cannondales... it can be hit and miss for charging and longevity. But most machines will charge at higher voltage than your range, with the stock ATV setup -- usually bumping up to 14.5v, so its hard to know if the Vreg, stator, battery itself, or cables are the problem... or if there is any missing magnet material from the flywheel,.. lots of variables I guess.

funmachines

#4 Post by funmachines »

I was wrong - I have the HD motorcycle regulator already. I'll check everything in the charging system. I ran a cheap lithium battery from Rocky Mtn a year ago and it died quickly (with using a lithium tender) but it was not high quality so I was not sure if it was the battery or the charging system. But I know I need at least 14.3 v to get a lithium up to 90% charged so a little more voltage is needed. I'll check everything in the charging system. I've never had an issue with lead acid or AGM and I always use a tender.

Thanks for the help

funmachines

#5 Post by funmachines »

Rechecked the output again after I fully charged the lead acid battery - now I'm getting 14.4 so all is good. I think the cheap lead acid I put in 2 yrs ago is on it's way out and I have a much lighter lithium to put in it's place anyway. Win win. We are riding rocky singletrack up at Tahoe next weekend - should be fun.

Thanks again for the help

speedfreek

#6 Post by speedfreek »

QUOTE (funmachines @ Jul 8 2018, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rechecked the output again after I fully charged the lead acid battery - now I'm getting 14.4 so all is good. I think the cheap lead acid I put in 2 yrs ago is on it's way out and I have a much lighter lithium to put in it's place anyway. Win win. We are riding rocky singletrack up at Tahoe next weekend - should be fun.

Thanks again for the help
Had a lithium in my speed, they are junk ask John Laska who tore mine apart and examined it. Stay away from them, they may weigh more but I bought a deka and never looked back. Didn't use it for two years. thought it was junk, jumped it off my car and it started in 15 seconds. Just sayin...