Stroker and Overbore Rebuild Options

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
who_gives_a6

#1 Post by who_gives_a6 »

Quad still runs great but thinking long term here as it has a boatload of hard hours at this point. I have a stroker crank that Tim did and a CP 98mm piston. What kind of options are even left at this point for doing a refresh in the future? (rods and piston/cylinder kits) I'm thinking of tearing it down this winter to inspect.

My other quad when it seized with the same setup due to a bucket issue but had a 97mm piston, I just chose to do a stock setup to make it easier down the road. But the massive gap in power between them makes me not really want to do that again. Both are ported, throttle bodies bored, early cyclones, cams degreed, etc. Though the stroker has a dual exhaust.

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

I'm having some 460 piston kits made as I write this. With the right port job and timing this would be a nice set-up. The kit uses all of the best parts. CP, aluminum liners, etc.

who_gives_a6

#3 Post by who_gives_a6 »

I would definitely be interested when done. My bigger worry I guess is the stroker rebuild down the road in the event the rod is galled or not usable. And seeing as unless I'm off base here, the stroker would need shorter pistons than a stock rod setup.

kdeal

#4 Post by kdeal »

Depending on the stroker crank. If it is a Falicon, they used shorter rods and the piston has the same height (same piston). If it was done by Timbo, the rod is stock and uses a custom machined piston. Piston machining is easier than trying to find an oddball connecting rod.

who_gives_a6

#5 Post by who_gives_a6 »

Tim did my stroker so seems I'd need someone to machine a new piston when the time comes.