clanging noise on right side of engine, please help

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
atvrulz

clanging noise on right side of engine, please help

#1 Post by atvrulz »

On the right side of the engine, where the large circular plastic cover is, with the big cannondale C, i removed this plastic cover and started up my dale and while it is idling there is a loud clanging noise coming from there. this afternoon in the middle of my race, my dale stalled and after starting it back up there is a very loud noise coming from there. I did not try drive it, because i did not possibly want to harm anything.
Need help fast, because i need to order the part tomorrow so i will have it in time to race on saturday.
thanks

atvrulz

#2 Post by atvrulz »

It is within the flywheel that i am hearing this clanging noise. Flywheel is not loose. Anyone experience this before?
thanks

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

All the noises are really hard to pin down.I would check all the crank and transplate bolts.Just look with clutch cover removed.Make sure you didnt run it low on oil.Change the oil look for metal in the filters especially steel pieces.If you dont see anything GO RACE! If you want to be really sure only way is to completely disassemble motor.

atvrulz

#4 Post by atvrulz »

dustin at southbay told me that since i am using a stainless steel engine oil filter instead of the paper ones, that it is most likely my crank shaft is shot.
probably will send it into southbay and get the dependability kit and maybe one of the stage upgrades also.

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

That is a crock of you know what.Millions of vehicles and lots of Cannondales use the stainless filters changing oil is the only way to guarantee the best oil.Honda has used screens in many of their units for years.Do what ever you want but you may be throwing your money away.In my opinion the noise you are hearing is the play between the gear on the crank and the gear on the counterbalancer.They all have this play.But your crank may be shot but you will see particles in oil.Southbays motors are no guarantee anyway.

thomez

#6 Post by thomez »

I can't believe that is what Dustin said. How could a filter that flows better than the stock ones cause a problem with lubrication of your crank? I'll be waiting to see his response but maybe you two had a miscommunication somewhere. I just can't see him saying that.

Jammer72

#7 Post by Jammer72 »

Did I just see that. A stainless steel oil filter causing the problem. I've been using filters like that since I was 16. I want some of whatever he's smoking. :wow

atvrulz

#8 Post by atvrulz »

i told him there is this loud clanging noise coming from the flywheel area. he asked if i use a stainless steel engine oil filter and i said yes. he said there have been quads in at south bay with same symptoms and he said most likely the crank shaft is shot. Also, said that finer particles can get through the stainless steel filter to cause the problem to the crank shaft.

thomez

#9 Post by thomez »

I don't know but the Scotts filter is rated at 35 microns. That is 5 microns smaller than a dust particle. If that is causing your woes then I don't know what to think.

Big Winky

#10 Post by Big Winky »

35 microns is bigger than I'd like to see floating around in a motor. I'll stick with paper thank you. But, yes it does sound like a crank problem, either the main bearing or the rod bearing.