Engine problems - oil in exhaust

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
nuge

Engine problems - oil in exhaust

#1 Post by nuge »

All dealer serviced; less than 40hrs; just completed valve adjustment. No prior engine problems - none.

Started well, idled nicely after I got the bike home from valve adjustment service. After a week in garage bike wouldn't start (strong click). Ensured battery was charged - still wouldn't start.

Tried starting again before taking back to dealer - started up, but spewed lots of smoke out of exhaust - didn't clean up after idling for a few mins. Took into dealer.

Dealer diagnosis: oil in exhaust; NO oil in airbox; engine spewed smoke with exhaust removed; no metal filings in oil; cyclinder sleeve is slightly scored; piston specs are good; no other obvious problem. Dealer recommends replacing cylinder sleeve, valve guides and piston rings. DEALER DOESN'T HAVE A CLUE HOW THIS HAPPENED - so obviously I'm concerned about this happening again once the parts are replaced and the bike is back together.

Any theories on the root cause??? I'm no mechanic but I did review the last 100 days of threads and didn't find a similar problem.

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Quite a few people have had this happen to them.It is caused by oil leaking past the checkball that is supposed to keep the oil in the frame when motor is off.It ends up filling the whole cylinder with oil.It happens intermitantly and is exagerated when it sits unused for a long time.There is no fix for this other than just run it every couple days or the main oilpump housing(one behind filter)would have to be replaced.Odds are it wont happen again though.
I also worry that turning the motor over with a cylinder full of oil can damage the motor since it is hydrolocked.Taking the plug out right away if it doesnt turn over is a must.

nuge

#3 Post by nuge »

Additional info: probably not relevant but the stud update was done at the time of the valve service.

nuge

#4 Post by nuge »

Looks like a home run on the first pitch...thank you Cannondale27. Your theory fits perfectly and the dealer agrees. I've learned a lesson - an expensive one since the damage to my engine could have been avoided. Maybe this should be filed under WHEN NOT TO START YOUR ENGINE or WHEN TO PULL THE PLUG. Thanks again!

MotoX_Racer07

Where are you seeing this checkball?

#5 Post by MotoX_Racer07 »

The other day I was over at Big winkys place, and we searched up and down for a checkball. Absolutly none in the frame. And internally in the motor we came up with nothing. I would like to know a factual answer on this. I really personally do not think there is one. From all the research looking around, We came up with nothing ....

MotoX_Racer07

No Answers?

#6 Post by MotoX_Racer07 »

Anyone have an answer for this or were people assuming this checkball is there?

jake1981

#7 Post by jake1981 »

I have recently had a similar problem that I talked with Big Winkey and Scooter about over the phone. Jim, do you think that this could be a problem with mine. For those that don't know.

Well, i checked the clearance on my valves last week, put my motor back in, went to the dunes last weekend. Rode Friday and bike ran awesome. Saturday went for a ride, bike sputtered spat and turned off. No wierd smoke, no overheating, engine and tranny oil checked fine. Bike didn't want to start. Back at camp I check my plug, it was really flooded. Looked in my cylinder through spark plug hole and there was fuel inside the cylinder. Also there was fuel training out of my exhaust head pipe where the silencer meets the headpipe on the FMF system. So I re-mapped my bike, all the setting on the monitor screen were fine. I leaned it out with the mapping and the same problem happened. So, the bike will start fine if you unplug the fuel pump and crank the motor, when all the fuel is out the bike starts, then you quickly plug the fuel pump back in and the bike runs and idles and everything. It will actually run good, excepts after a little ride it dies again and runs like crap.

Anyways, back at the shop I took the airbox off, got to what I was needing to look at. Jim from Fab along with Scooter from Optimum both told me to check my injectors, so I checked them out and they are working fine, meaning when the power is off they are not leaking fuel or anything. I can look down into the intake spout on the cylinder housing and see that they are squirting fuel when the bike is being cranked over.

Also, yesterday when I was working on it I noticed that instead of just fuel coming out of my exhaust its also mixed with engine oil. Scooter mentioned that it may because the fuel is cleaning the inside of the cylinder and oil is coming out as well.

So we're coming to some conclusions with both Scooter and Jim that there is something either wrong with my computer, maybe it got reset or something when I hooked up the battery when I checked my valves. I don't think it's the injectors, maybe fuel pump. The sleeve most likely is not cracked as there is no oil in the anti-freeze. Mind you that the bike runs strong when it does run, just keeping it running is the hard part. I can run it fast, then slow down putt around and it floods itself out.

Does anybody have any solutions. I will aslo post this on other threads and forums to see if somebody can figure this out. PM or email me too if you need to.

Thanks for your help Scooter and Jim

cdsracer

#8 Post by cdsracer »

I had the same problem with mine, oil in cylinder, hydraulic lock, smoking out of exhaust. I just had too much oil in it. Check that first. If you have too much oil in it (easy to do, and you can't tell on the dipstick), it will do this after sitting for a couple of days. Mine was over a quart high and didn't read high on the dipstick. It has been about three months since I drained and measured the oil, stuck a quart back in, and never have had a single problem since. Runs perfect.

jake1981

#9 Post by jake1981 »

Originally posted by cdsracer
I had the same problem with mine, oil in cylinder, hydraulic lock, smoking out of exhaust. I just had too much oil in it. Check that first. If you have too much oil in it (easy to do, and you can't tell on the dipstick), it will do this after sitting for a couple of days. Mine was over a quart high and didn't read high on the dipstick. It has been about three months since I drained and measured the oil, stuck a quart back in, and never have had a single problem since. Runs perfect.

I'm gonna go and check this on mine. I hope this wasn't the problem. This is too easy of a fix to be the problem. For some reason it just seems too easy to fix. We'll see though.

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

There is actually more than one checkball.Remember that filter at the back of motor that is never dirty?follow it down to the tube which leads to the crankplate which leads to the oilpump which has the checkball in it.One for returning oil one for outgoing.I have seen the epocy plugs which cover the spring and retainer fall out.Here is some pictures: