Are the Cannibals Reliable?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Derno24

#1 Post by Derno24 »

I have had mine for about a year...I have raced in about a dozen harescrambles or more and it still runs good. I had another one a 2002 but I sold that after one season racing and guess what still running strong.

EricM

#2 Post by EricM »

Mine has about 40 hr on it and the crank is out. I kept the oil changed and did all the maintenance. Now I have 4 years of payments and need about a grand to get it running again, I know I sound like a pessimist but you can??????????????????t sugar coat everything. On the positive side it has a ton of power and is the most different quad made and probably the best design from an engineering standpoint. These forums are also a great plus.

Derno24

#3 Post by Derno24 »

EricM: I am not sugar coating everything. This is my personal experience. I apologize if your personal experience is different, but again I am not sugarcoating anything from my standpoint.

I have heard of cranks going, but I ride with several other Dale owners whose quads are running fine too. Yes there are issues with the bike and yes you may get a lemon, but at the price you could pay for one now I would take that risk, Because the reward in my opinion is worth it.

haydug

#4 Post by haydug »

The price you can get one for now, it is well worth buying and spending some money having the updates done and balancing the crank. Then you will be happy with it for a long time.

Psychosis

#5 Post by Psychosis »

Originally posted by haydug
The price you can get one for now, it is well worth buying and spending some money having the updates done and balancing the crank. Then you will be happy with it for a long time.

I wish I would've been that lucky to get a perfect one. Crank went out on mine as well and everything is in the shop w/all parts in waiting for a call that it's done. It's like Sandstorm/Sandgod, whichever it is, he said he had like 250hrs on his stock engine w/out a problem so he a nice one.

EricM

#6 Post by EricM »

Derno24
I was not at all saying that you were sugar coating anything, just that I was not going to. I also agree that the prices now are a bargain. A ton of machine for the price, I paid 6500 for mine a few weeks before the bankruptcy (If I had only known). So I overpaid and got a lemon. Mine is probably the worst case scenario. I bet you would be very happy if you got one.

Derno24

#7 Post by Derno24 »

Sorry Eric I didn't mean to sound overly defensive.

Sandstorm

#8 Post by Sandstorm »

Well if you buy one drop the motor and have a new crank put in. The one's ATK is getting from Falicon. Falicon did a crank for me in 92 on my ZX11 and it was flawless. They rebuilt my ZX11 crank for 150-200 bucks after the number 3 rod seized on the crank from a rubber O ring coming out.. Put the stud update in at the same time. Ship your motor to my dealer. They'll do it all in a timely fashion and ATK is 10 miles from my dealer.. They can probably do it all in 3hrs labor at 60 bucks an hour.. My old motor was FLAWLESS..

dalewannbe

#9 Post by dalewannbe »

Hey EricM and Pyschosis,
Did you guys have all the updates done? Just curious. I too have an 03 cannibal with all updates and a new motor. I bought mine with the new motor. I have my fingers crossed. As mentioned, you can't buy another quad at the current prices of dales and get this type of power or performance.

Psychosis

#10 Post by Psychosis »

Everything was done. Stage 8 included. Only about 25-30hrs on it as well. Top end blew w/the crank which has resulted in a bad way but should be going again this week and out on the tracks immediately if all happens according to plan.