Cylinder head stud installing torque#...anyone know?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
WJR

Cylinder head stud installing torque#...anyone know?

#1 Post by WJR »

When installing the 4 cylinder head studs into the engine case, how much torque to I use to seat the studs? Or are they just "finger tight" and loctited?

Thanks,
WJR

Jammer72

#2 Post by Jammer72 »

That's a very good question. I just bought a motor that has a crack in the case from a stud being overtightend. Gonna have to get the case repaired. Haydug if you read this chime in since you'll be doing my motor.:head:

southbaymoto

#3 Post by southbaymoto »

We do not generally tq the studs, you do tq. the nuts with the head on. Our spec. is 37 ft lbs. The stud needs to be checked to make sure it is bottoming out and no threads are showing. You need to use ind. grade red loc-tite on the studs. If you over tighten or try to tq. the studs you are sure to strip the threads. If you do pull the threads through a timesert will work to correct the issue.

Dustin
SBM

cannondale27

Torques

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

Helper studs
stage 1- 8.1lbf.ft
" 2- 16.2 lbf.ft

Head stud nuts
stage 1- 16.2
" 2- 25.8
" 3- 31.0

WJR

#5 Post by WJR »

Thank you!

WJR

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

WJR,
I'm sorry I read both posts one was addressing just the studs which you should follow Dustins advice.For the nuts do the torques I listed.Dustin and I must have been posting at same time.

Big Winky

#7 Post by Big Winky »

37# in the case (12mm) like Dustin said, 31# on the head stud nut (10mm). although I use the green locktite in the case (for permament installation). your motor is done WJ, I'll send you some green locktite with it, if you want.

WJR

#8 Post by WJR »

your motor is done

NOW I AM STOKED. YES I AM YELLING.biggrin.gif
Jim, A bottle of green locktite would be great! I can;t recall seeing the green stuff--permanent sounds good to me.

WJR