Where the heck is neutral!?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Mjollnir

Where the heck is neutral!?

#1 Post by Mjollnir »

I went for my first real trail ride today on the 'dale. Man, that thing is great. I went with a couple friends, one has a real fast Banshee, every time he'd hammer it for a bit, he'd turn around to see where I was, and I was right there every time. hehehe.

ANyway, I had two problems, one was a leaky gas cap, I'll get that worked out, I'm sure.

The main problem - neutral is just about impossible to find! I know this is a known thing, but does anyone have any hints or anything to help me find it? I thought I was going to burn out the clutch 'cause when we'de sit for a few minutes (ok, seconds), I'd have to hold it in. I was afraid that if I stopped and restarted every time, I'd kill the battery.

Anyway, if anyone has any tips, it would be appreciated.

THanks!
Marc

cannondale27

neutral

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Some have had luck with adjusting the clutch at the basket.Mine got way better with use took quite a while though.

Knight440

#3 Post by Knight440 »

Same problem here, i found the easyest way was to grab the clutch with you right hand then reach down with your left and pull it up from first to neutral.

I have the same problem with gas cap there's a post about it. quick solution was to pull out the stock gasket and get a rubber o-ring from Home depot and use that worked mint for me for now it let's the cap screw down further but this is only a temp fix for now rolleyes.gif

Knight440

Gas cap

#4 Post by Knight440 »

NRath

#5 Post by NRath »

Hey, I was having the same problem, as I've reported before. But, the last time I rode(the Hatfield McCoy trip), I was actually able to get into neutral!! I couldn't believe it, I thought it was lost! And all of a sudden there it was! Must've been that West VA air! I hope it stays that way. I assumed I was just getting it worn in enough- several have reported it'll come around the more hours you get.

And yes, I added "the Hatfield McCoy trip" just to brag about having been there! That place is awesome! Definite 6 stars on a 5 star scale. It's a great experience all the way around.

Cannibal440

#6 Post by Cannibal440 »

The tip about finding neutral while coasting to a stop is a good one. This is the only way to find heutral on my Cannibal, other than shutting it down that is. My dealer tells me this will improve with some hours on the quad.

NRath

#7 Post by NRath »

I have a Warrior also, and it's nothing like the 'dale as far as hitting neutral goes- the wardog goes right in(as memory serves)! Must be the 20 horses the Yamaha is missing!!!!

I've tried grabbing it with my hand a few times, and most of the time, still couldn't get it! Like I said, it appears to be getting better now.

Mjollnir

#8 Post by Mjollnir »

THanks for all the input guys. I definately found that going from 2nd to neutral works better (though better does not mean "good" in this case:D). 1st to neutral flat out does not work. Of course, one of the two times I was able to find neutral from first was on a VERY steep hill, about 1/3 of the way up. Greeeeaat. Fun stuff. I'll definately be trying the slow roll thing at Pismo this weekend.

I went to home depot today to find an O-ring. Couldn't find one that would work. It's wierd - the cap goes on fine, then seems to jump off the threads at the rear for no reason. When I take out the gasket, it screws all the way down, no problem.

Anyway, thanks again folks.

Marc

NRath

#9 Post by NRath »

The "jump off the threads" thing is exactly what I meant when I said I can tell the difference between the new and old one. The original one and my first replacement did that. The 2nd new one will screw on tight without doing that.

Knight440

#10 Post by Knight440 »

I went to home depot today to find an O-ring. Couldn't find one that would work. It's wierd - the cap goes on fine, then seems to jump off the threads at the rear for no reason. When I take out the gasket, it screws all the way down, no problem.

Marc STK no 35748B 1-1/2 x 1- 1/4 x 1/8 it's in th plumbing section should be a bunch of draws with all diff types of o -ring it looks too small but it's not....hope this helps.....John

Just happens i picked up two of them and the other one is sitting right here at the desk wink.gif