Help Cannondale not starting

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Lightman02

Help Cannondale not starting

#1 Post by Lightman02 »

I bought an 03 Cannondale, I foulded a plug and change it with no problem. The quad started rite up and I rode it alittle an put it away. I went to start it a week later and all i heard was a click. I thought it wasa low battery or charging issue, charged the battery and even tried to jump it no luck. THen i thought maybee my starter is jammed. I went to take the plate off where the starter cluth plate is an engine oil came out. I assume there should not be engine oil in where the starter clutch is. I checked my airbox and there is no oil in it. I then checked my oil tank and it seems very low. I thought that there was no oil in my engine maybee, but I never heard any odd sounds. I then took my engine crankcase bolt out to see if there was any engine oil and there was alot of it that came rushing out. So it looks like my engine has oil. Any suggestions, is there any easy way to see if the engine got seized or something???

Please help!!

Thanks

haydug

#2 Post by haydug »

see if your motor will spin, by spinning your flywheel

Lightman02

#3 Post by Lightman02 »

It wont, when i hit the starter i see the flywhell move alittle but not much, could this be a bolt that backed out or a craqnk isssue?? The last time i rode it was running, all i did was turn it off, started it a week later to find this problem. Is there supposed to be oil where the starter clutch is???

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

Your top end of your motor has filled with oil.This is caused by a checkball that will leak while it is sitting sometimes.Allowing all the oil in frmae to go to motor.What you need to do is REMOVE the SPARKPLUG and then turn it over it will make a mess.Then put a new plug in and run it till warm it will smoke big time till oil is burned out of cylinder.Once that is done change your oil be sure not to overfill it.1.5 qts is all that is needed.Letting it sit and cold weather seems to cause this problem.Just have to ride it more:)

Lightman02

#5 Post by Lightman02 »

Yup you hit the nail on the head, actually I called ATK and a service rep told me to try that too. That was very nice of ATK to help me out. And as well as everyone here. My other question is, is it normal for the starter clutch area ( where the hose runs in) to have motor oil in it???

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes oil will be in there however the oil level isnt supposed to get that high checkball leaking causes that.

Lightman02

#7 Post by Lightman02 »

will it work itself out or do i need to drain it ?:?

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

When you change your oil it will all drain out.

Lightman02

#9 Post by Lightman02 »

Ok, I'm am still having a problem. I got all the oil out of the cylender, now just gas sprays out. However the engine will not start. I do see some white smoke come out of the exhaust when trying to start it but it doesn't fire. Put in a new plug and still no luck. Becasue there's white smoke does that mean I have spark?? Also should I try putting gas in the cylender then trying, or should I try disconnectinfg the fuel injectors and try doing the gas in the cylender thing. Also will it harm the fuel pump to try to start it with the tank not connected or should I disconnect the pump.??

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

Check your coolant level.If it is low you may have a cracked cylinder liner.