Cannibal Dead, Again

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Psychosis

Cannibal Dead, Again

#1 Post by Psychosis »

Well it's not starting again. This time I'm not sure what it is. I turn the key and nothing. Fuel pump doesn't run or anything. If I hit the starter anyway the starter will make a small click or spin over a time or two. I checked battery and all was good but stuck it on tender anyway. I took off the plastics and checked every single thing I could find for a loose wire or anything disconnected and nothing.

Everything seems fine but no fuel pump response or starting. The ECU has a small click as well when I turn the key. I don't have the D&M but will be investing in one soon now. Any ideas on this? It ran fine 3 days ago when I last ran it. I put on a new frontend and new plastics but I still rode it around after that so I have no clue where to start.

BTW: All connections are fine, battery terminals tight, and tether is not the problem either. Only about 4hrs on new engine so I figure it can't be that, or can it? Any help's appreciated greatly.

MXMIKE

#2 Post by MXMIKE »

Try and jump a wire from the starter to the +on the bat. May just be your cylonoid.

Psychosis

#3 Post by Psychosis »

Originally posted by MXMIKE
Try and jump a wire from the starter to the +on the bat. May just be your cylonoid.

Not the solenoid. Already checked that and power's getting to the starter as well. Though I do have a spare solenoid. The fuel pump is my concern. Seems nothing's getting to it.

Ryanstones

DANG

#4 Post by Ryanstones »

those symptoms are usually the battery.

Derno24

#5 Post by Derno24 »

I had a problem with a wire working it's way loose in the actual connection. Not where the connector meeets the bolt, but the wire itself was working loose from the connector.

Psychosis

#6 Post by Psychosis »

Well just a few minutes ago I was out and decided to move it back to it's normal spot in the garage and then just decided to give it another shot and it started it! This is really confusing me. It took a couple tries b/c it's 30 degrees but it started. Only thing is that it had a TON of smoke flying out the exhaust. I ran it about 10 minutes and it went down but still had some flying out in white clouds. What would this mean?

Ryanstones

#7 Post by Ryanstones »

Maybe the check valve is sticking?

I don't know much about cold, but do you guys use a lighter oil in winter?

Psychosis

#8 Post by Psychosis »

I have lighter oil but haven't put it in yet and planned to on next oil change. It's smoked several different times I've started it up. Even the day after I got it back w/fresh engine.

AlaskaSpeed

#9 Post by AlaskaSpeed »

Well, well, well....lol. It's been a long time since I had to diagnose, but this same thing happened to me and what I did was take apart my start/stop switch on the bars. There was moisture in there. Not saying that is your problem, but I found with these Dales, that there can be many causes for the same problem........JIM

Lightman02

#10 Post by Lightman02 »

I'm not sure why your fuel pump would not work. However electrical problems would not cause the white smoke. If it is cold by you, then your battery is probably dead, cold weather will discharge a battery really fast, expecially the dale ones. If you leave you quad stored unused for a period of time in cold weather, such as a week, the oil will sometimes leak into the cylinder. I had this problem a week ago, it actually hydro locked my engine. If there is still alot of smoke coming out, then I would remove the plug and turn over the engine to see if oil comes out of the cylinder. If it does try to work the oil out and catch it in a rag. Then put the plug back in a burn the rest of the oil off. You are probably going to have to replace the plug after you burn the oil off as it may foul. Also make sure you never overfill your oil especially when it's cold out, this will cause the oil to more likely leak as there is more pressure on the valve. Hope this helps. ALso make sure when you turn over the engine without the plug to check for oil, that you do it youside, it makes a mess.