Cannibal isn't running.

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
jesshamner

Cannibal isn't running.

#1 Post by jesshamner »

I tried starting my cannibal today after 2 weeks of sitting in my garage. I let it idle for a few seconds but then it died. I think it ran out of gas b/c it was low from the last time I rode it. So, I put gas in it and then tried to start it again. It started and idled for about 3-5 seconds then died. If I keep trying to start it after it idles and then dies, it starts backfiring a little. If I let it sit or take the spark plug out and clean it (also turning it over w/o the spark plug to clear the fuel from the cylinder), it will start again and idle for another 3-5 seconds. It repeats the process over and over. I'm thinking it is either a fouled plug or it is just running too rich. I don't have the D&M kit. I can't get a new plug until Monday morning to try that. Just looking for some opinions.

Lightman02

#2 Post by Lightman02 »

Could be a low battery, the battery will drain when the quad is just sitting idle and it will mess with the ECU. Try charging the battery and try it. The only way the battery will start to charge is when u rev the engine, otherwise just sitting idle runs pretty much everything off the battery and the battery doesn't
get anough voltage to charge up. ALso if you want to be sure, hook your car battery up to it, if it runs fine, then it's your battery.

jesshamner

#3 Post by jesshamner »

I tested the battery with a volt meter. I got the reading of 11.6. Do I still need to charge the battery or get a new one? The battery is only about 2 months old and I only have about 5 hours on the machine itself. It has been sitting in the cold though. What are your thoughts?

cannibalq8

#4 Post by cannibalq8 »

it should be 12's. not for the quad but for the ECU also. try to use jump starter

Lightman02

#5 Post by Lightman02 »

A well chraged battery will give a reading of 12.6 or 12.8 volts. It doesn't matter how new the battery is, if its sitting in the cold it will discharge. It doesn't have to even be connected, cold weather discharges batterys. The only reason cars dont have this problem as much is because the batterys are alot bigger.

EuroGOD

#6 Post by EuroGOD »

^^Sounds fair to me^^
I'd just like to add 2 more things:
#1 You should also check that all the connections are tight (including the ground to the frame)
#2 Check to see that your battery is not being damaged by rubbing on the engine case. If you find it is, you need to loosen/remove the battery tray and put some extra washers under the rear.

OH, and throw a new plug in "just in case".

jesshamner

#7 Post by jesshamner »

I'm getting ready to go to my uncle's shop to try some things. I'll be online there and will keep you posted. Thanks for the suggestions.

haydug

#8 Post by haydug »

check the ground wire behind the fuel pump regulator, they seem to be the guiltly culprit alot of times.

EuroGOD

#9 Post by EuroGOD »

....tell us what you see jess

thomez

#10 Post by thomez »

Yeah, make sure your battery isn't smacking on the frame. I didn't have that update and my battery has pinholes in it. Gotta get a new one now.

Doug, you have any of those?

And how about the motor mount update?

Maybe I could pick them up from you on Sat. if I can make it.