Pulling Motor?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Holeshot36

Pulling Motor?

#1 Post by Holeshot36 »

I'm going to pull my motor out this week and have a couple of questions, do i have to take the radiator off, what the best way to take the connections that connect to the bottom of air box off, and are there any tip or tricks i need to know about?

Swampdale

#2 Post by Swampdale »

I just pulled mine for the first time Saturday. Pull all the plastic, airbox, throttle body, hoses, wires, exhaust header, swingarm pivot bolt, etc. Be very careful of the fuel injectors, they have very little clearance past the radiator fan. I did not remove my radiator. Once everything is disconnected you can lower the engine while it's in the frame cradle with a small floor jack.

It took me about 3 hours. I imagine putting it back will take 30. There are a lot of hoses and wires to keep track of.

Have fun!
Tony

blaze#52

#3 Post by blaze#52 »

if you pull the radiator it is easier, gives you a little more room, i pulled everything off of mine, swingarm, sub frame, front tires, put the whole thing on the ground, unbolt the engine cradle, use one hand to pivot the quad frame up and the other to slightly tilt the engine so the injectors clear, good luck and be prepared the have oil on the floor when you are done

kgd57

Oil?

#4 Post by kgd57 »

Nahhhh You didn't get any oil , Did you??? Ha Ha Ha !!!

kgd57 biggrin.gif

kgd57

Re: Oil?

#5 Post by kgd57 »

Originally posted by kgd57
Nahhhh You didn't get any oil , Did you??? Ha Ha Ha !!!

kgd57  :D

Holeshot36

#6 Post by Holeshot36 »

sweet thanks, yeah i noticed there's alot of hose's everywhere i'm try and pull the motor out with the rad. still intact.

Jaybr

#7 Post by Jaybr »

It's alot easier if you pull the radiator. I don't remove the airbox, just loosen both clamps on the boot on top of the motor and it will pop off when you lower the motor. Just lower the motor slowly and make sure its not catching on anything and everything is disconnected.

haydug

#8 Post by haydug »

You will find it alot easier to remove the radiator, and fan. I also remove the airbox and put the throttle body ziptied up out of the way. Another trick is to take the upper shock bolt out and pull it back, laying the subframe brace (where your seat cushions are) on the shock body which holds the rear of the bike up. Then put a jack under the frame cradle and lower away. There is no need to remove the swingarm. Be sure to hoop everything up back, and make sure all your plugs are tight and none of the wirs pull out. I just put my motor back in and it wouldn't fire, come to find out my coil wires had pulled out of the plug alittle, and wouldn't make a good connection.

CdaleRacer0128

#9 Post by CdaleRacer0128 »

so if it is easier to remove the radiator, what would be the new directiosn to do so, virsus R&S's

and how would one get the radiator out, i was looking and it odesnt look to be an easy task

Rx440

#10 Post by Rx440 »

I just pulled my motor week before last for Stage 8. Actually, the radiator was really easy to remove....I think it was just two bolts. Radiator is only fastened at the top and just rests on a rubber bushing on the frame at the bottom. Fan comes out really easy also. I just wasn't comfortable with the lack of clearance.....with the radiator and fan in place..... and after seeing how easily they came out, I just can't imagine why I would even try to drop the engine with these two items in place.