Don't like the thumb throttle's design...

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
wyndzer

#1 Post by wyndzer »

I agree Ben, I'm looking at getting a 400ex thumb throttle.

AlaskaSpeed

#2 Post by AlaskaSpeed »

Yeah...I adjusted mine to a more comfortable position too.

jcv440

#3 Post by jcv440 »

Motion Pro is suppose to be coming out with a cable that will allow the use of a 400ex thumb throttle.

I totally agree, I still have a difficult time not giving it gas when I pull the front brake lever...I saw a nice looking aluminum unit, but it was pretty pricey.

smith

#4 Post by smith »

Ya, I agree, I've tried the stock one, but I've gone with 'ol faithfull and put a stock 400ex one on the Dale. Just can't give up all of my Honda roots at once! smile.gif

smith

#5 Post by smith »

It is REALLY super simple to do......

1) first (obviously) unhook the C'dale t-thottle and pitch it into a box on the shelf
2) grab your spare 400ex t-throttle
3) put it on the bars to hold it in place while you work on it
4) get a drill out with an assortment of bits
5) here's where the going gets tough.....you need to drill JUST A LITTLE BIT out of where an ex theads into the body. In reality, a file could probably do it also. Drill where an ex throttle threads in just enough so that the C'dale cable will slide in there far enough to be able to hook up the cable.
-side note- leave that little rubber piece ON the throttle cable that is used as a seal on the Dale throttle assembly, this now acts as your "overtravel spring" What happens is that the ex has a slightly longer throw than the dale, instead of creating a stop, you let the cable fully open the trottle housing, and the rubber will compress the little bit more until you hit the stop so that nothing is ruined or hurt.

I have been running it like this all year and have no problems so far.

If something doesn't make sense, just let me know and I'll try to explain better or get a couple of pic's.

jcv440

#6 Post by jcv440 »

Smith,

Did you check to see if the throttle body is opening all the way? I was told that with the stock throttle cable, the 400ex unit will not open it up all the way. Could you check on that?

smith

#7 Post by smith »

yes, it opens all the way. You actually have the throttle body open all the way before the thumb-trottle hits the stops. That is where leaving the rubber piece on comes into play, it allows you to push the thumb right to the stops without stretching the cable. Basically, when the thottle body is wide open and you push your thumb a little farther to the stops, it compresses the rubber a little bit.

jcv440

#8 Post by jcv440 »

Very cool. I'll be doing this over the weekend! Looks like I'll need a different throttle cover though! lol

thanks for the help!

smith

#9 Post by smith »

cool, good luck. let me know how it turns out. Remember, you barely need to remove any mateial out of the EX where the cable goes in. (When you are done, you should still be able to screw an EX cable back into it)

rowlrag

#10 Post by rowlrag »

Ben try moving it away from the grip.