race gas and 450 piston/sleeve kits for dales

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
atvrulz

race gas and 450 piston/sleeve kits for dales

#1 Post by atvrulz »

For the handful of shops supplying 450 piston/sleeve kits for dales, is there a variety to choose from? What are the top of the line 450 piston/ sleeve kits? I think i heard that the wade wilcox engineering 450 piston/sleeve kits are the best? Is this true? Do you have to use the expensive race gas with the 450 piston/sleeve kits?
thanks.

cannondale440

#2 Post by cannondale440 »

Also, I would like to know how difficult it is to install for a do-it-yourselfer? Any special tools required

Sandstorm

#3 Post by Sandstorm »

Wade explained to me the difference's in a mass produced piston like a Weisco and his piston.. Wade gave me info that he won't disclose to anybody. I'm not saying I'm special, but I just wanted learn some stuff from him while he was here in Utah for a week.. I can't even tear a motor down so anything he tells me is just FYI. I cannot give you any details as I gave Wade my word. He did say he uses the best sleeves and his piston design is different then a Weisco. The guys who are nikasiling the sleeves will have different tolerances anyway. I know Wade has two Pistons for the two 450 kits. In Wades stage IV motor race gas must be used due to the high comp of 13.8-1 at sea level.. ATK's 450 piston is 12.5-1 and doesn't require race gas and is of Wades design also in his liner..

Jaybr

#4 Post by Jaybr »

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that Wade is using LA Sleeve steel liners with his 450. I've got an extruded aluminum nicosil liner I'm putting in mine with a Wiseco 450 piston. I got one of the first few nicosil liners, but they will be generally available very soon.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the steel sleeve, there are varying opinions on the differences and I'm no expert. I just liked the idea of using aluminum/nicosil like the factory, and the extruded liners are supposed to be stronger than the stock ones. The nicosil liner does cost a bit more than the steel.

As far as tools go, I'm not sure what their called but you need a box wrench that has a 3/8 socket hole in the middle to allow you to use a torque wrench. You can't get a socket on the inside head bolts. There is also a special plate you need to press the sleeve into the case, Nrath made the one I'm using and could give you the specs.

haydug

#5 Post by haydug »

Well, my 450 kits will not require race gas. I also have 2 different liners. One is the basic L.A.Sleeve steel liner, which is the same that Wade uses. He uses a different piston. I have talked with him extensively on this issue. Wade has told me alot of stuff (none in which I will tell) but I use Wiseco pistons in my kit. I believe Wade to use JE, but not 100% sure. I also have a nikasyl kit, which is what I just installed in my own bike. There are several differences in these kits. They use Wiseco pistons, and the steel liners are borable, which means buy a piston later, not the whole liner. These steel liners are hand matched to each piston by Diamond Racing. We are partners on this whole deal. The nikasyl is harder, which may last longer. However it cost more money, and as we all know, when one of these motors goes, it usually takes the piston/liner with it. So then you have to buy a whole new kit.
My next bike will have steel liner, which means I'm not biased on the sleeve issue. I feel both are of high quality or I wouldn't be selling them, or using them. I will sell nothing I don't use or can tell you first hand that it works.
Now the good part, I know that these things make nice power, as several members on this site can back up by riding my bike, with just a stock blaze map.

Sandstorm

#6 Post by Sandstorm »

Wade went to great lengths w/ his piston builder to develop his piston. Some areas are beefed up or machined down to compenste for critical heat and stress or the lesser of both. I can't remember if he told me if LA sleeve did his sleeves. I'm gonna say no, but I could be wrong. From talking w/ Wade and how precise he is, he demands the best. If you aren't producing the absolute best you aren't getting Wades approval or business. Trinity pumps out all kinds of big bore kits for alot of machines. With that their is alot of angry customers w/ Trinity's work. K&T sticks to modding Banshees and that's why they are the best.. I am careful in what I say, because I gave Wade my word..:deal: