I am ready for engine work

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
4punksdad

I am ready for engine work

#1 Post by 4punksdad »

So far my cannibal is all stock. I did the engine mount update, and I visually checked the studs but have done nothing more. Except add the correct coolant and redline oils.
Now that I have the 450R in the garage I am going to down the dale and the quadracer. The dale needs reliability issues fixed, and the quadracer is ready for top end rebuild.

so here is my question....................who should I choose to tear into my dale, and what should I have done. I am sure I need a valve adjustment, and stud update. What else should I consider and what should I expect to spend. Who is the most reliable guy on the block?

I am not looking for anyone to bash anyone here, just give me the facts.:usa

Motoman440

#2 Post by Motoman440 »

I'd use either Haydug or the Quadshop. As you know both these guys ride and wrench on the Dales. Haydug has many kits available to upgrade your engine if wanted. Haydug also has another Dale mechanic working with him. Both are great fellars!!! However, either shop I'm sure would do you a great job. You may also want to consider having your crank balanced which is around $650.00.

thomez

#3 Post by thomez »

If you were getting your crank done and injectors reangled etc you could let Big Winky do the whole thing.

Doug could also do it.

Champion could also do it.

Wade Wilcox could also do it but more $$ and a different kit.

I haven't heard of the Quadshop offering 450 kits but they might.

MXMIKE

#4 Post by MXMIKE »

Good topic. My Motor will be going off in 8 to 10 days.........Come on Uncle Sam!!!!!!!:deal: I am torn between Haydug and Winky.
I want it inspected and rebuild from the bottom up. Ony damage I know of is 1 striped oil pump gear. I pulled the moter after that happened and its been colecting dust ever since:mad:

Now that I think about it it probley needs a new valve cover too. I always ran the regular antifreese in it for a yr and a half

sad.gif Im sceared to see it,lol

4punksdad

#5 Post by 4punksdad »

After talking with jeff @ the quadshop I am thinking of just jerking it apart myself and throwing loctite on the studs myself. Sounds like there isn't much need to do more than that with a stock cannibal map. The bike runs fine really.................****, I can't decide. Maybe I will call jim @ champion and see what he says.

thomez

#6 Post by thomez »

I find it very hard to believe that mapping differences have anything to do with engine failures. The rev limit difference isn't THAT big.

Besides, you don't want to be racing with a stock Cannibal map anyways - there is another couple free HP from this motor just with a map swap.

To each his own, I suppose.

Derno24

#7 Post by Derno24 »

I don't think 4punks is planning on racing it. Just likes to ride it.

My decisions on where to send the motor were based on 2 things.

Who knew what they were doing? and what was it going to cost?

It seems like everyone re-building the motor know what they are talking about, but each has their own opinions as to what is best.

Joe if you are having motor work done at all regardless of the 450 kit. Get the crank checked to see if it is balanced and get the better bearings in it. The crankcase bolts can be addressed when it is being done.

Which leads me to my choices.

Champion Motorsports-very cost effective and helpful.

Haydug- Very cost effective and helpful too.

I chose Champion due to location.

Talk to both of them and ask what they suggest and make your decision from there. Each has differences in their kits, but their solutions are relatively the same.

PS Scott from Champion is in Cali this week

Mjollnir

#8 Post by Mjollnir »

Originally posted by thomez
I find it very hard to believe that mapping differences have anything to do with engine failures. The rev limit difference isn't THAT big.

I don't, depending on how you look at it. First, from a mechanical perspective, the more powerful maps add fuel and thus power to the engine. You combine them with new exhausts, which introduce even more air and power. Increased cylinder pressures, increased rate of acceleration, etc...

From the perspective of a statistician trying to figure for variables, look at it this way. A stock cannibal map is most likely being run by someone who is not concerned about every extra horsepower, maybe not as hard of a rider as someone who is. Not a racer, but more of a recreational rider. Beats the machine less = less breakage = bikes with Cannibal maps may experience a lower "rate of brakage".

With that and another 2 cents, it will almost cover taxes on my 2 cents. biggrin.gif

Marc

thomez

#9 Post by thomez »

It is possible, but I do not see any correlation from the issues I have seen. How many guys here have had a crank failure on a Cannibal? Blaze? Moto?

Reliability wise, I'd go with a balanced crank option for sure. Since that was already going to Winky I'd send the whole thing there. I trust all of the guys doing engine work it is just easier to do it all in one place.

Me, if I was racing or not, would like that free HP. Can anyone complain about free HP? I'll spend more time on the trails with mine than anything but I got the thing because of the power!

Derno24

#10 Post by Derno24 »

The Winky thing I agree that the crank will go there if it needs to be balanced. Not all the cranks are bad. Do you wish to pay $600 just to see. I am sure Haydug and others check the crank balance and make sure it doesn't need it before it goes to Winky. Besides I am more worried about the bearings that are under rated.

I still think talking to each of them on the phone is the way to go. Get a feel for what they have to say first and go from there.

I get the impression a motor done at Champion, Haydug, Winky, or anywhere else will not be the same motor power wise. Each seems to have their own things they like to do.