COLD WEATHER STARTING--Or not.

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Mjnova

COLD WEATHER STARTING--Or not.

#1 Post by Mjnova »

Is anyone else or more like who isn't having problems starting in cold weather below 25F? The only thing I have tried that seems to work is to jump it with a running car. I have now been through two plugs---PAIN and I am now lacking confiedence that I could start it without warming it first. Anyone else??

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Good clean synthetic oil helps alot preferably a cold weather variety I like the Amsoil.And dont forget to use a little isopropyl in the gas.Fully charged battery if all is right they start better than most 400ex.

Cannibal440

#3 Post by Cannibal440 »

Originally posted by cannondale27
Good clean synthetic oil helps alot preferably a cold weather variety I like the Amsoil.And dont forget to use a little isopropyl in the gas.Fully charged battery if all is right they start better than most 400ex.

Won't the isopropyl damage the o-rings and possibly the fuel injectors?

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

Hope not I never had a problem.Injectors are same as G.M. doesnt hurt cars.I swear by the stuff if any freezing happens in the fuel I guarantee the pump on dales will never be able to get the gas up to pressure.Snowmobiles can even burn up from gasline freeze.

Mjnova

#5 Post by Mjnova »

I have the cold start update from 3-02 or so. Battery is always full charged. I know I have good full pressure also. I will try loading the 03' mapping and see if any of their changes help. Thanks..

Mjnova

Update.

#6 Post by Mjnova »

Sent the ECU to Kyle(R+S) to check the settings. Everything in general appeared to be OK. He resent the ECU back and the Cannondale Software. I reset the throttle postion, but it was very similiar to were it was before. AT THIS POINT it seems to be starting better, the only change(that I know of) is backing the idle down. I have now resatrted the bike 9 times Fully cold and it has fired right up each time. I have not been able to try it below 22F yet though, but I was having the problem anywhere below 50. I also gapped the plug on the lower end of the scale( We don't belive this matter at all though)

Seeing that everything on my bike, appears to be working as designed, I am hopping at this point the high idle speed had something to do with it not starting when cold.

The quad would sometimes fire and die and not re-start, not appear to fire at all or start and run2-3 sec.max stall and then half run until the plug fouled.

Hope this might help.

LapTraffic

#7 Post by LapTraffic »

How heavy you running the gunk on your airfilter?

Sounds stupid but I understand that there is no O2 sensor with the EFI, heavily doped Airfilter can cause a rich condition and foul the plug.

Mjnova

Air Filter oil.

#8 Post by Mjnova »

I understand about your concerns,but in this case it's not that. I have not changed the air filter in the past two to three rides. It has given me some problem each time, during those. The air filter has not been touched and now I am not seeing the problem. I did earlier in the year have a problem with it at one of the Ohio GNCC's, I was very worried about the dust and got over zealous with the oil thinking it would help---All I got was a bike that wouldn't idle or run at low RPM's.

racerx

#9 Post by racerx »

hey mike how does that rx-1 run??

Mjnova

#10 Post by Mjnova »

Sled runs great. Got a few miles over the XMAS break on it, and so far I like it alot.