Thumb throttle upgrade....

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
465stroker

Thumb throttle upgrade....

#1 Post by 465stroker »

FYI - I just did a thumb throttle upgrade to my Cannibal this past weekend. The Honda throttle housing has been a popular upgrade for more comfort, thumb contact patch, and gets rid of the sloppiness at the pivot area on the stock dale unit. The Honda upgrade required buying the Honda thumb throttle housing and a expensive cable to boot - my upgrade is similar but different...

What I found...

The KXF400 and LTZ400 thumb throttle housings have the same cable connection as a Cannondale. I have a KXF400 in my garage and decided to see if it really works this past weekend and it did - with NO alteratations required.

Besides now having a much more comfortable throttle body with a larger contact for your thumb there is one more hidden upgrade to be made.

I am not sure if you all know - but you dale is faster with a twist throttle housing - why? - because the stock dale thumb throttle housing will not let your throttle body open 100% - but it will with a twist.. This is because the internal wiper arm in the dale thumb throttle assembly does not have enough area to reach full throttle and there is really no way to modify it to do so.

A simple modification that you can make to the KXF or LTZ400 thumb throttle body that you CANNOT do to the OEM dale unit is to grind a little material from the wiper arm that your cable hooks to inside you thumb throttle housing that will let you get 100% throttle!

I have no pics available but I am sure Derno will be looking into this as soon as he reads this!

Sorry I did not have enough time to document everything but there sould be enough info here to let ya all get those gears turning in your heads!

haydug

#2 Post by haydug »

:clap:
Thanks for the tip!!
I guess it's to late for me, I've already got honda throttles on mine. But, in the future??

465stroker

#3 Post by 465stroker »

FYI - You still use the stock OEM dale cable.

Haydug - Does the Honda throttle let the throttle body open 100%?

465stroker

#4 Post by 465stroker »

While I am at it.....

1 more tip for those of you with a HONDA throttle body....

A TRX90 throttle body is the same as a 400EX & 300EX that you are using for your conversions - BUT - the lever on the TRX90 is about 1/2" longer to give more leverage for an easier pull. So all you have to do is by a TRX90 thumb lever and it will directly install into you 400EX or 300EX body..

You can also do this upgrade to your YFZ450 - direct bolt-on since the YFZ cable end is the same as a Honda...

Done for now,
Rick

JeffQuadShop

#5 Post by JeffQuadShop »

You got a head like a house cat!

Derno24

#6 Post by Derno24 »

Hmmm Rick that is a great idea. I went to the twist at the end of last season, but I may go back now with this upgrade. I may be your first guinea pig.

thomez

#7 Post by thomez »

A 'Dale will not be faster with a twist as long as you properly adjust your thumb throttle....

JeffQuadShop

#8 Post by JeffQuadShop »

Originally posted by thomez
A 'Dale will not  be faster with a twist as long as you properly adjust your thumb  throttle....
The best I've seen anyone get with a thumb is 90%

Derno24

#9 Post by Derno24 »

You guys are talking about how wide the throttle body opens correct? Not what it reads on the software. Just making sure for everyone else who might read this.

wyndzer

#10 Post by wyndzer »

When I changed mine over to the Honda throttle, I looked at my throttle body and the butterfly was opening all the way up after I adjusted the cable.