Cannondale go boom?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Craig Johnson

Cannondale go boom?

#1 Post by Craig Johnson »

OK guys here is the question. My friends Cannondale was running perfect then shut down. Now it will only crank when cold and shuts off after about a minute of running. Right after it shut down it would not crank back up and would only click when hitting the starter button. When it does crank up it makes a noise from the left side of the engine. Anyone else had this happen? Could it be the clutch or do you think it's in the motor?

EuroGOD

#2 Post by EuroGOD »

:wow Noises from the left side, huh? :wow

If you're lucky, it will just be 1 of the cart. plate bolts that has backed it's way out onto the rear of the clutch basket...
The fix is rather simple, even if it does take some time.
Drop the engine and remove the side cover, it's Stage8 or locktite time wink.gif

cdalepilot

#3 Post by cdalepilot »

anybody having any flashbacks for craig ?sad.gif

Brad77

#4 Post by Brad77 »

Hey, Craig is from Augusta, Ga.

Wow, somebody else from Ga.smile.gif

Hey, if it is one of the cart plate bolts then the sound would be a really bad clunking sound. Best advice would be just as EuroGOD said. Remove the engine and take the side cover off.

Mjollnir

#5 Post by Mjollnir »

Yikes! Sounds like another backed-out cartridge bolt.

If the other bolts are loose when you go in there, you may want to consider a complete tear-down and inspection. Some have said that when the cart gets loose and starts banging around, it can damage other bits, including cracking the case somewhere.

Don't crank it anymore - you'll just end up doing more damage, plus if there is a bolt floating around, it may have destroyed the oil pump drive gears.

Hopefully cannondale27 will post up - he has a lot of knowledge about this.

Marc

EuroGOD

Re: Cannondale go boom?

#6 Post by EuroGOD »

Originally posted by Craig Johnson
OK guys here is the question. My friends Cannondale was running perfect then shut down. Now it will only crank when cold and shuts off after about a minute of running.

Sounds almost like a stator wire problem...OR
Check the quick-connects and the pick-up line inside the tank. (can kink if the quad is rolled)

Right after it shut down it would not crank back up and would only click when hitting the starter button.

Sounds like either a loose battery or ground connection OR
A cart. bolt

When it does crank up it makes a noise from the left side of the engine. Anyone else had this happen? Could it be the clutch or do you think it's in the motor?

If it is a high-pitched squeel, then it could be the fuel pump. Check lines as described above.
If the noise is an abnormal rattle, metallic rubbing sound or crunching then pull that engine....

Can you tell that I like to ask thorough questions?

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

You guys got it covered good.To eliminate battery/connection problems and prevent damage you should turn the motor over by hand using the flywheel nut in a clockwise direction.If it locks up follow the advice here even if it doesnt unless you have done the updates pulling the clutch cover and hub to check for loose bolts periodicly is a must.

Craig Johnson

#8 Post by Craig Johnson »

We're taking the motors out as I write this. (My sons 90 blew up today). Thanks for the help guys. Do you know if there is a website that shows the quickest way to get the engine out?

OCR

#9 Post by OCR »

Cannondale engine removal

Just download the engine removal link, it makes removing the engine really simple.

Craig Johnson

#10 Post by Craig Johnson »

Thanks OCR. We are going to package up the motor and send it to Haydug to get 450'd while it's getting fixed. Can't wait to get it back so we can send mine.