Cracked sleeve questions??? 450?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
handyman

Cracked sleeve questions??? 450?

#1 Post by handyman »

Today while riding the engine died and spewed out white smoke, as well as water from the exhaust, we knew exactly what it was as my brothers did this a week ago, both of our machines are weeks old, his an 03 Cannibal, mine an 03 Speed. It seems as though there are a fair amount of these bikes doing this as a result of the hole drilled partly at the top of the sleeve. Anyway, my main question is this. Is it beneficial to go to the 450 since I will be pretty far into the engine? What are the pros and cons to this? Does it last as long with the extra power? Is there much extra power? Will it make the engine run much hotter? It had been running pretty hot for a little while, and would not start when hot. Where can I get parts for either kit? Any thoughts on anything?

EuroGOD

#2 Post by EuroGOD »

:welcome: to the site....even if it is under these circumstances...

A cracked sleeve at the alignment dot is usually caused by overheating.
I had 2 go in 1 day. One was caused by a radiator leak and the other by a melted water pump impeller.
There has also been a lot of cases of valve cover corrosion caused by the original coolant. The particles from this can block the bleeder hoses and cause overheating as well.
You will see all of this when you pull the engine.

Yup, the 450 kit sounds like a good idea. Combine that with a Stage8 bolt upgrade and , if you've got the cash, a balanced crankshaft from BigWinky.

I'd be getting in touch with haydug for the work. Not only does he own this site but he'll sell you all the parts you need to humiliate those new Yammis and Hondas.

www.haydugcycles.com
304-675-3027

Big Winky

#3 Post by Big Winky »

WWE, Haygug, and myself are all using the cast iron sleeves for our 450 kits... as far as I know, there hasn't been any cracked sleeves. Actually haven't heard of any overheating problems either (with the cast sleeve less heat is dumped into the coolant), they seem to run noticably cooler according to customer reports.

airtime

#4 Post by airtime »

big winky, i'm on my 3rd oil change on my 03 cannible. when i pulld the transmission filter it was full of large metal debri, one was the size of a 1/4. i placed them in a plastic bag so you know they were pretty big. anyway, i flushed the transmission out with more oil and used a magnet to pull out the rest of the metal. the transmission shifts fine ands no unusual noises. i know when the machines are new people say a lot of metal will come out but this was the first time i changed my oil and noticed any metal. is this normal or should i be concerned? i have not done any up dates to the quad. i run mx tracks every once in a while. what do you think? i use the silver colored bottle of honda pro oil with out moly for the transmission. also, how much more power will your 450 kit add? i have the motto map and full hmf exhaust. thanks gerald also what would be a ball park cost for you to go thru my motor and do the updates, balance the crank and install the 450 kit. pump gas only, thanks again gerald

handyman

450 kit

#5 Post by handyman »

How much does the 450 kit cost? Are they all cast iron? How much power increase? It should be just as easy as replacing the sleeve with a stock 432 right? Will it make it run much hotter? I was running Engine Ice, as was my brother when his split last week. His had some corrosion from the original coolant. Both of ours have had the stage 8.

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

Some of the index dots were literally drilled too deep.It was just supposed to be a mark and a couple I saw were way in.
I have the 450 from Winky and I am running the Evans which supposedly runs hotter Well guess what with that cast sleeve my fan runs less than with stock!