any one use big winkey crank?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
cannibalq8

any one use big winkey crank?

#1 Post by cannibalq8 »

just curious how is it with u guys... im thinking seriously to use it in my SBM/WWE450 ?

DangerRanger

#2 Post by DangerRanger »

Top Notch...nothing better, and not a better cdale motor builder/guru around.

ben

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

I will second that.And I know how happy Danger is.You should have heard him when he got it running.He sounded like a kid in a candy store.Excited is putting it mildly!

Derno24

#4 Post by Derno24 »

Guys he already has the big winky crank in his quad. If I am not correct Winky does the cranks for SBM.

CdaleRacer0128

#5 Post by CdaleRacer0128 »

i thought so too..i'm using winks crank in my engine and derno will be too as soon as he gets that thing back!:eek:

thomez

#6 Post by thomez »

Winky wasn't even doing cranks yet when SBM built Q8's motor.

In fact, I don't think SBM modifies the cranks - they use the piston to balance the motor. Remember that discussion?

I would be 99% certain Q8's crank has never been to Winky's place.

Talking about balanced cranks was one of the very first things I did here - and Q8 already had his SBM motor.

OCR

#7 Post by OCR »

I have one in my motor and it did take a lot of the vibration out of it. Putting the motor back together without Winkys Crank wasnt even an option for me. I want this thing to last.

Derno24

#8 Post by Derno24 »

Well I think you might want to look into this some more. When I looked into getting work done at southbay before Wade left they were stating that they send their cranks out to be done. I was told it was to a guy in PA. I may be wrong, but they may have been doing it for a while and switched to something else I don't know, but it might be worth a look into. besides the only person who knows for sure is Winky...

thomez

#9 Post by thomez »

I talked to Farrar who has a SBM motor.

They did not touch his crank when his was done. Q8's was done at about the same time. Crank problems hadn't been introduced much at this time because a lot of 02's had the billet cranks from the factory, this crank thing is mostly an 03 problem.

I don't think anyone had done a dayum thing to the cranks until this past fall when the problem was discussed in depth. Then Winky devised his system to take them apart etc. We can let him chime in to be sure.

Refer back to the "Balancing the crank or balancing the engine" post for more info on what Southbay does. I don't recal anything about modifying cranks but they did say they used a different piston to balance the reciprocating mass.

Derno24

#10 Post by Derno24 »

Just telling you what was told to me last summer when I looked into this. The crank thing has been around since the dale came out. Early 01's had crank issues too. That has always been an issue with the Dale.

Cranks and Bearings have always been an issue. Just bearing were in the beginning, but even then they were saying the cranks weren't balanced enough just not as bad as later in production.