fuel pump question

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Happyboy

fuel pump question

#1 Post by Happyboy »

I keep reading that when you turn on the key the fuel pump should turn on to pressurize the system. I have never had mine turn on. Sometimes it is hard to start but I think its just me. Once I prime it I hear the pump stay on for a couple of seconds and then it turns off.

Is there something wrong with the fuel pump or is this just a fluke?

thomez

#2 Post by thomez »

Messing with the key is completely unnecessary. Just turn it on a single time, then give it a second - tap the start button to prime the pump, give it a second, prime it one more time by tapping the button, then start it up. You never need to mess with the key after you initially turn it on.

thunderwolf

#3 Post by thunderwolf »

Unless you have disabled the clutch switch.

thomez

#4 Post by thomez »

I'm confused - what would the clutch switch matter in terms of starting it?

Happyboy

#5 Post by Happyboy »

No, you missed my point. I know how to start it, I am bad at it, but I know how.

My question was about the pump coming on after you turn on the key but before you hit the start button. You even said it should come on then. Mine does not. But it does when I hit the start button.

thomez

#6 Post by thomez »

I am not sure that mine comes on with the key or if it doesn't until I hit the button. If I was home I'd check for ya.

Happyboy

#7 Post by Happyboy »

Excuses excuses! biggrin.gif

No biggee, it doesn't bother me that much, just kinda curious. Check back in later with your results though if you don't mind.

thomez

#8 Post by thomez »

Hopefully someone beats me to it cause it will be about 7 or 8 weeks til I see mine sad.gif

Happyboy

WHAT!!

#9 Post by Happyboy »

What the heck are you doing to it? That poor little machine is going to be so starved for attention.

thomez

#10 Post by thomez »

I am in college away from home, bike stays home and gets neglected. Well not exactly ... somehow I still manage to spend more money than I have on it :confused:

I'm sure someone else can check for you today.