Motor Mount Update

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Happyboy

How to do the Motor Mount Update

#1 Post by Happyboy »

OK, I figured I would just post an info thread about the little bugger.

How to do the motor mount update. Unscrew the front mount bolts completly and then rethread them by hand about 3-4 turns. Then just wack them a few times with a hammer. They should push in toward the motor. If they do, then unscrew the bolts the rest of the way and push the bolt all of the way in. You will hear/see the factory stud fall out of the motor. I personally would only do 1 side, then put the new bolt in so the motor will stay in place. After doing the other side you should be able to push the spacer inbetween the the motor mounts. Finish pushing the long bolt all the way through and tighten her up. Be sure to use loctite!

Now, if your like me and those ***** studs didn't pop out, no matter how hard you wacked them then STOP! They are seized in there and you could damage your motor if you keep wacking. I find this next step much easier with the battery out of the quad. I hope you have a little torch handy. If not, go to lowes and get a little plumbing torch. You can heat up your motor mounts for a minute and this will cause the aluminum to expand. The studs are steel and since you are not applying heat to them they will not expand. After heating the motor mount for 20-30 seconds just start wacking on the bolts again. If they don't budge just apply some more heat. They will give way. Be patient and don't hit any hoses or wires with the flame. Then just follow the above and your set.

Thanks Haydug for the idea, it worked great!
biggrin.gif

Happy

iceracer17

#2 Post by iceracer17 »

Most kits you just drill out the inserts with a 13/32 drill bit.But maybe you have a bigger dia. bolt which requires the inserts out?

dalewannbe

#3 Post by dalewannbe »

Haydug sells the motor mount kit where you pop out the inserts. Mine is in the mail and I may need to get a torch, but I'm sure my buddy (plumber) has one.

Happyboy

#4 Post by Happyboy »

No, same bolt. I didn't see anywhere that said to drill them out. Hmmmm.... I guess that wouldn't be too bad. But, they should have just popped out.

speed2424

2 Kinds

#5 Post by speed2424 »

There are 2 different kinds of motor mount update out there.One is the type that calls for the bushings to be removed.This one has a longer spacer. The other one requires you to drill out the bushings to allow the bolt to pass through the bushings.This one has a slightly shorter spacer.Be sure to shim between the frame and the motor before locking the bolt down.Between .005"& .030"
Shims depending on your gap.:deal:

Happyboy

shims

#6 Post by Happyboy »

Are the shims necessary for both type of mount updates? My spacer slid in tightly. I don't think a shim could fit. Or does it have to?

To find out what process you need to follow just try and fit the spacer inbetween the motor mounts. My studs prevented the spacer from fitting.

speed2424

shims

#7 Post by speed2424 »

Yes, shims are required for both types of motor mount updates.But the shims go between the FRAME & the motor.NOT between the spacer & the motor mounts.:deal:

sanbar21jb

#8 Post by sanbar21jb »

QUOTE (speed2424 @ Mar 30 2004, 12:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, shims are required for both types of motor mount updates.But the shims go between the FRAME & the motor.NOT between the spacer & the motor mounts.:deal:

i bought on from black widow what do i do?

Happyboy

#9 Post by Happyboy »

There are now a few different types of mount kits. Best bet is to ask Brad what needs to be done. I thing the ones off ebay have you drill out the inserts rather than what I showed above. It should also have come with instructions.