I Need Help

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
CannondaleRider

I Need Help

#1 Post by CannondaleRider »

OK my FX440 had some major vibration from the unbalanced crank. It vibrated bad enough to loosen the subframe bolts and it came down and cut the oil line or something and it ran without oil for a little bit. When we took it apart there was metal from the piston on the cylinder. My brother in law said i could bore the metal off to get the cylinder to the original diameter and then just buy a stock piston. Would this work??? I need to get it running before i send it to South Bay Moto for the ES1 kit

Happyboy

ug

#2 Post by Happyboy »

I don't know if you can do that. If you ran without oil enough to get the piston messed up and leave metal on the cylinder then I would guess the cylinder wall is probobly chewed up some as well. Maybe not enough so you can see it now but I would guess if you had it bored to stock you would be able to tell.

My suggestion would be to either get a new piston and sleeve or go ahead and upgrade your piston and bore if possible. I am not sure if you can get a new piston and bore, I have manly read where peeps got new sleeves with the piston on their Dale's.

Also, I would suggest a complete lookover, if you ran no oil you may have damage elsewhere. Check that little filter on the frame. You have to be sure your frame doesn't have any crap/metal shards in it what so ever.

Derno24

#3 Post by Derno24 »

New sleeves are drop in so I wouldn't waste my time with machining it. Order a 450 kit and go throught the motor at the same time.

EuroGOD

#4 Post by EuroGOD »

^^^What he said....
That 4 1/2 kit kicks ***.

CannondaleRider

#5 Post by CannondaleRider »

I think i will just send my motor to ATK for engine work(reliability) and just have them put in the 450cc kit

Happyboy

#6 Post by Happyboy »

How much does ATK charge for this anyway?

thomez

#7 Post by thomez »

Guaranteed to be more than Haydug charges!

glamister

#8 Post by glamister »

You get what you pay for;) send it to ATK!

CannondaleRider

#9 Post by CannondaleRider »

Exactly how reliable will my Dale be after sending it to ATK

thomez

#10 Post by thomez »

This work by ATK would total $1800 (the "magic" and a 450 kit)

I think Doug could build you 2 or 3 of them for that. Are they going to last "that" much longer? History says ... NO!