Oil filter conversion

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
TheJaspMan

Oil filter conversion

#1 Post by TheJaspMan »

Has anyone ever thought about machining a replacement cover for the dale that would switch filters to something like a 400ex filter? Or has anyone seen one available?

Jaybr

#2 Post by Jaybr »

Aftermarket filters will be available in a couple weeks for under $5, so I'm not sure there is a big need to change it.

TheJaspMan

#3 Post by TheJaspMan »

Originally posted by Jaybr
Aftermarket filters will be available in a couple weeks for under $5, so I'm not sure there is a big need to change it.

That's cool. As much as I change my oil it was starting to look bad.

Brad77

#4 Post by Brad77 »

Does almost everyone's machines have the paper filters?

Both of my Cannondales have the metal filters that I have been recycling for two years now.

Jaybr

#5 Post by Jaybr »

I've got one of each, but I'm probably switching to paper on them both shortly.

I've been told that the paper filters do a much better job of filtering. I've also heard theory that alot of our crank bearing problems are from poor oil filtration. I'm not trying to lean anyone in one direction or another, just stating what I've heard.

TheJaspMan

#6 Post by TheJaspMan »

I am probably a little excessive about changing my oil. But with some of the research I am doing I have to use all new products each time or the tests don't make any sense.

I looked at the metal reusable filters. But I would worry about not getting all the small particles out and slowly loosing proper flow. The paper ones 'should' be cheaper than they are. My car oil filter only costs $7. It doesn't make any sense.

I can get 400ex filters for about $1.98. And they are very, very close to the cannondale size. I was hoping someone else had noticed and made a longer oil cap that would accomidate a little longer filter.

garysol1

#7 Post by garysol1 »

my big concern with the metals is the lack the pressure relief valve......For what its worth here is a quote from a email Maz sent me:

DO NOT....go w/ a SS oil filter.
We have extensive testing that we did (while at Cannondale)
And have rock solid proof that the SS does not filter near well enough to
protect
the crankshaft, Every SS oil filter user will lose a crank due to this.
I wont even sell the SS one for this reason.
The paper ones filter the best.
-MAZ

wistech

#8 Post by wistech »

I was going to try to build an adapter but with new filters coming down so much in price its pointless now. And a 400ex filter isnt even close to fitting in that housing. I was at the parts store checking sizes and nothing they had on the shelf would compare.

REW440

#9 Post by REW440 »

I read somewhere that the yz426 oil filter was the same, I am not real sure so please dont hold me to this. I have never tryed it, I use the ss.

TheJaspMan

#10 Post by TheJaspMan »

Originally posted by wistech
I was going to try to build an adapter but with new filters coming down so much in price its pointless now.  And a 400ex filter isnt even close to fitting in that housing. I was at the parts store checking sizes and nothing they had on the shelf would compare.

My bad. I must have grabbed something else when I was comparing. Let me check and see if it my wifes Kawi filter. I grabbed from our 400ex bin and ASSumed that is what I was holding. :furious: :hammer: