removing inserts

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
pdavis

removing inserts

#1 Post by pdavis »

how do i remove the mounting inserts for the front engine mounts so i can install the update ?

thomez

#2 Post by thomez »

The brass ones ?

If you have the type where you don't need them any longer, get out your BFH and start poundin ... should come out of there pretty easy.

NRath

#3 Post by NRath »

Thread the bolt in, leave it loose, tap/hit the bolt with a hammer. The inserts will come on out. It's a very simple update. If there is a gap between the engine case and the cradle, it's best to shim that to avoid stressing the engine cradle when you tighten the nuts.

Happyboy

becare full how hard you bang...

#4 Post by Happyboy »

Check this out if they are stubborn.

http://cannondaleriders.com/vbb/showthread...=&threadid=5451

:hammer:

pdavis

#5 Post by pdavis »

thanks fellas, that what i thought, but didnt want to bust out the BFH until i knew,

kdeal

#6 Post by kdeal »

Pete,
Make sure the bolt kit you have has the spacer (width) for removing the bushings, as some kits just drill them out, and the spacer is shorter to make up for the flange width of the bushings.

pdavis

#7 Post by pdavis »

are those thread inserts just brass?

kdeal

#8 Post by kdeal »

They look like brass, but I had the drill through the bushings kit, and the darn drill bit got stuck several times (catching the threads & not taking out much meat). I too read the Cannondale bulletin stating to knock them out. But, if I did I would have had a heck of a gap left over. Just check the spacer you were provided with against the gap between the motor tabs BEFORE knocking the bushings out. If it's a snug fit, don't knock the bushing out. If there is no way it will go in, you probably need to break out the BFH. (I love that abbrev) smile.gif

Happyboy

#9 Post by Happyboy »

Read the link I posted. It explains that there are 2 different kits and how to get the insert out if necessary. BFH is good but don't forget that your case is aluminum. It can bend and break. You wouldn't just start beating on your case with the hammer would you?

pdavis

#10 Post by pdavis »

since thomez was the first to suggest the use of the BFH i figure that if i broke the block, it would be his resposibility to have it repaired or replaced.... am i wrong on this ???