Hi Milage gen one engine

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Ryanstones

Hi Milage gen one engine

#1 Post by Ryanstones »

Just got my engine back from the dealer (10-weeks!) after a resleeve/piston. A couple of guys were interested in seeing the piston. For background: Engine had 260+ hours with no valve adjustment and was smoking a little bit. She would still beat a stock raptor, but had lost a couple steps from new. The intake valves were damaged as if from detonation(?), slamming into the seat. Dealer recut the valve seats and replaced valves, $11 ea.
Whatever is going on with Cannondale, they are still supporting the products!! Tech insisted dealer do the crank(?) stud update kit, FREEE, and also sent the crank vent hose update kit FREEE. here's the pics:

Ryanstones

piston

#2 Post by Ryanstones »

scuffing on the skirt

Ryanstones

piston

#3 Post by Ryanstones »

yep

Ryanstones

ugly motor

#4 Post by Ryanstones »

the early engines had bronze painted side cases, which of course didn't last.
I polished on it a little last night. Now to see if I can get it back in!

LapTraffic

#5 Post by LapTraffic »

So how long till you're back riding again?

How long does it take to get a motor back in? Do you have to do the break in again?

Have a good Christmas smile.gif

jcv440

#6 Post by jcv440 »

yeah Ryan, I've been hearing of crank bearings seizing. They gave us a new one for our Moto too.

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

Thanks for the pictures now I just have to find one of a new piston I think they are dished a little lower compression.

Big Winky

#8 Post by Big Winky »

the piston you have there is the orginal built by wiseco, dealer would have installed an Italian made piston from cannnondale. I know for a fact that wiseco is currently working on a stock replacement piston with slightly higher compression and also is considering a big bore 450 piston (+2mm). we are currently putting the yzf 87mm piston in our moto and cannibale. we are a race shop so we welded the valve pockets up in the top of piston and remachined them to match the cannondale valve pockets. then sent sleeve out for rebore and nikasil. We actually turned a bit off the outside of the piston and ring grooves because 87 mm puts the motor .77 cc's over 450 to get under the 450 rule. The stud update is much needed insurance. btw... by the looks of your piston you might have to try to change oil a bit more often.

Ryanstones

neat stuff

#9 Post by Ryanstones »

Cool info big wink! hohum, I do that kind of custom mods all the time!rolleyes.gif
j/k I'm glad you are bringing your expertise online!
Is it the scuffing that makes you think I'm lax on the oilchangin? I've done it by the book since day one, but had a disintegrated foam seal in the airbox for who knows how long. I was hoping someone would give me some feedback on the condition of my piston.

Lapper, I'm 3/4 done with breakin! It took me about 6 hours to get the engine back in, but I was cleanin/polishin everything real well too. Just putting it back together I could have maybe done it in 3.

Ryanstones

She RUNS

#10 Post by Ryanstones »

What a relief! tongue.gif biggrin.gif