Not Starting...NEED HELP!!

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
rob_me686

STILL NEED HELP!!

#1 Post by rob_me686 »

alright guys i got a few questions for you here
i was riding my quad the other day and it just up and died on me...while i was riding.
luckly i was close to a friends place, so i had to push her to his place. when i went to restart it, it didnt start. i figured rite off the bat that it coudda been the battery b/c it was low on juice earlier and when i did the engine start it started up no problems.

i have recently just switched my pipe and map from the stock cannibal to the blaze/speed map with a shortened HMF pipe.

after puttin it on, i noticed that the idle was way too fast since i dont have a D&M kit i couldnt tell for sure... but i turned it down untill it sounded right.
would these idle adjustments change anything, i know it changes the mixture a bit but anything else?

i pulled the plug, and changed it, switched it w/a new one, and she still didnt start.... to me it sounds like its not Igniting!!
i go through the proper starting sequence prime, wait then hold for about 3 seconds, and nothing...

i'm not sure what my problem is, if the header wasnt sealed properly to the pipe itself would that create less back pressure? or possibly the header bolts themselves (to the engine) aren't tight enough? does anyone know where i should start with this.... im also worried about the fuel injectors possibly, could there me something wrong with them?

any help would be GREAT!!!!

i still havent found the exact problem even with all these suggestions, any others would be great thanks

cdrookie

#2 Post by cdrookie »

just start with the basics. take the plug back out and check for spark. make sure the fuel filter is clean. if it doesn't have spark the plug should be wet. get a d&m! the exhaust gasket or nuts shouldn't have anything to do with it not starting.

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

I think you should get even more basic. If your battery isnt up to snuff I guarantee it will not start ,just crank slow and foul the plug..Tighten all connections positive and negative and the frame ground. Remove them and clean them dont just look at them. Turn the idle screw back to where you think it was originally to.

rob_me686

#4 Post by rob_me686 »

to cdrookie, & wistech thanks for the quick responce!!!

Wistech, you mentioned to clean the battery connections and clean them up i will try that tommorow afternoon!

Cdrookie, id love to get the D&M kit but i dont have the money to afford one. plus im also thinkin about gettin ride of it once shes runnin fine again. i cant afford to keep this thing anymore, plus with university i dont have the time.
You mentioned to check for spark, im not sure how to do this. u said crank it over then pull the plug and check it. and if its wet theres no spark and if its not wet then what?

what would it mean if there was no spark?

oh i just put a new fuel filter in / installed about 7 days ago, she should be fine!!

speed2424

Spark

#5 Post by speed2424 »

Pull the plug, set it on the top of the engine to get a ground.Crank over the engine & check to see if the plug is sparking.Let us know what you see.:confused:

cdrookie

#6 Post by cdrookie »

^^^^^ exactly. if there's no spark, the plug should be wet from gas. if it's not, it's not getting gas. even if it has spark it should be wet cause it ain't firing. let us know.

rob_me686

#7 Post by rob_me686 »

alright'
i pulled the plug, and wiped it against my finger and it was wet, when i placed it back in the coil & then on the engine, when i cranked er' she did spark. this wasnt a large spark by any means it was a small one... im not so sure what this means. i let the battery charge for 3 hours or so.
when i went to start it b4 i checked for spark it just did the same thing, sounded like it was not igniting....
where do i go from here???
if any of you guys have AIM i could record the starting process and take a pic of the plug if itd help us all to find the problem... let me know and thanks!

rob_me686

Re: Not Starting...NEED HELP!!

#8 Post by rob_me686 »

bump

speed2424

Help

#9 Post by speed2424 »

Make sure the battery is fully charged. Crank the engine over with the plug out for about 10 seconds straight. Take the best plug you have, stick it in the coil then set on top of the engine.Crank the engine for a second or two to check for spark. If the spark is there, put the plug back in the engine.Put the coil on, tighten the coil hold down clamp on.Put the gas tank back on, and hook up BOTH fuel lines.Now turn the key on , turn on/off switch to on, pull in the clutch lever with your left hand,then use your right hand to push the start button for three seconds then release.If the engine does not pop when you do this then push the start button for another three seconds.Let us know how everything goes.smile.gif

wistech

#10 Post by wistech »

When you do the spark check lay the plug against a bare aluminum part because the valve cover is powdercoated an is a very poor ground.