overheating

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
BOBBY

overheating

#1 Post by BOBBY »

I need some help quick! Quad just started overheating. One hose is hot and the other is cold. The fan does come on. I think it's probably not pumping coolant. I'll also need parts quick. by the way it's an early 2002 with clutch cable.

Happyboy

#2 Post by Happyboy »

Come on guys! Help him out, we are supposed to go to Little Sahara Oklahoma on Thursday!

thomez

#3 Post by thomez »

Start it up in neutral, put a block of wood behind it, and then stand it on the grab bar. Let it run for 2 mins or so. Put back down, check hoses. It should have bled the system and should work fine then. Both hoses should be hot.

garysol1

#4 Post by garysol1 »

if what Thomez said does not work it could be a bad impellar in the water pump.

BOBBY

#5 Post by BOBBY »

It's a bad impellar. I need one quick. anyone know where I can get one.

Happyboy

#6 Post by Happyboy »

Well Bobby, anything new? From what I have read there have been a couple of problems with the impellars but nothing major. The only things I have read on were the impellars actually coming off and in one case Derno said that he heard one had melted. I don't know about that, maybe deformed a little bit or something.

Let me know what happens.

Sean

garysol1

#7 Post by garysol1 »

Normaly the impellar melts due to overheating......so why did it overheat?????? Check to see if the bleed hole is open......was the rad covered in mud........blocked hose.......? It is a simple system but find the cause before you replace the impellar.

Happyboy

#8 Post by Happyboy »

I was there and it just overheated. No mud, nuttin. We were cruising around on his proprety and it started puking. He thinks maybe he shut it off when the fan was going to kick on and it just kinda compounded the problem but there were no obvious causes.

thomez

#9 Post by thomez »

The impellar splines can strip, the impellar stops spinning, and it can overheat. That might be all that happened. Make sure and flush all the garbage out if the impellar took a dump in there. (pun pun) :hammer:

Happyboy

#10 Post by Happyboy »

That was it Thomez. Stripped out. Hopefully Haydug will get it to him overnight and the trip is still on. Looks like I will be pulling my pump cover off when I get back to look at the pretty corrosion. Only thing I have going for me is that it wasn't ridden alot before I got it. I put engine ice in immediately.