i'm about wore out with this thing!!

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Ryanstones

i'm about wore out with this thing!!

#1 Post by Ryanstones »

Well, after my topend rebuild and troubleshooting the scavenge pump cover update problem I got 5 good hours of riding in. While kickinaround a 3/4 mile course for about 15 minutes she just quit running and wound down. Dead battery? Yep, toast. Get new higher capacity battery, (cool, but a tight fit). Still won't turn over, ok new solenoid and what the heck, starter too. Got those in today, awesome, layoff work to get her going for my first HS this weekend. Nothing to it, she fires first time, then dies.
Fires right back up and runs for 30 seconds with an erratic idle.
Dies, won't turn over again. Pull the clutch cover and turn the crank manually, really hard at first. Put her back together and she fires right up. I keep my thumb in her but she's wanting to die if i don't keep the revs up. I lean over to the right side and i HEAR IT. A whole new hollow, whackathump sound.
Kyle at R&S says sorry, sounds like a crank bearing, and if so the crankshaft is trashed too. probably. bwhaaaaaaaaahaaaaaahaaaaa. sad.gif
I guess i'm paying for the year of trouble free awesome performance i've had.

so now what??????????

did somebody say a new crankshaft was $1000?

Well ****, how much is a whole new engine?????

Shat, maybe i'll just buy another quad and keep this one for spares!!!!!!Just another 6k+.
Man i love this machine and it has treated me so right. I wouldn't want to ride anything else, but i don't know.

I guess i'm going to pull the engine for the THIRD time, box her up and send it to bedford, in. I'm wondering if that is money well spent either.

sorry for the novel, your sympathy and support is appreciated.

Sandstorm

#2 Post by Sandstorm »

Crankshafts can be fixed. I had the number 3 rod on my ZX11 seize on the crankshaft. I sent it to the only place that could fix it. Guess where it is??? Florida... It was 190 bucks. They spray metal on the crank and turn it down again. Never ever had another problem again.. I don't know the name of the company. It was 10 yrs ago..

Ryanstones

wanna see somethin ugly?

#3 Post by Ryanstones »

Draining the fluids to get ready to pull the engine and here's what i found.
'bout made me want to throw up!

I'm really starting to look at the dealer who did the topend. Terribly coincidental that she takes a huge dump 4-5 hours after he works on her!!!
What do you guys think??????

I think i'm gonna pull it out tonite and be there in the morning with tools and ask for the engine out of his demo cannibal. Boy that would be a short sweet fix.

Sandstorm

#4 Post by Sandstorm »

That's your crank bearing. I did that same thing on my Warrior also. My filter looked EXACTLY like that..

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Ryanstones,
When your scavenger pump cover was loose your motor probably wasnt getting enough oil or the trannyoil/motor oil mix probably did it in.I was hoping you were going to be lucky and no damage done.When cannondale motors turn over hard one other thing to look for is the rivet that hold the compression release on the cam it breaks destroying the top end.Now they use a hardened allen screw.

Ryanstones

#6 Post by Ryanstones »

'27, I would like to think that cover not being tight during 45 minutes of break in caused the problem, then i would expect cannondale to share some responsibility as it was there update kit that was faulty. However, I was running 20w50 in both cases at the time and only the tranny was run low. Too much oil in the crank wouldn't cause damage at idle speeds would it?

Guy, i was real happy with the dealer for the first year. that's because i never went back! smile.gif Didn't have any problem til he took 10 weeks to get my motor back to me and only then cause i showed up 2 saturdays in a row and b!tched. Most dealers carry 'malprctice insurance' don't they. I'm really disappointed right now, but i'm more interested in getting a quick resolution then pointing fingers. buuuuutt, this repair bill is growing too big in my mind right now and my wife is scheduling antiquing trips with her share:eek:

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

I dont know for sure the cover being loose caused the damage we dont even know what damage there is yet.I havent had the pleasure of putting in a stud kit yet so I cant say who screwd up.
The one thing I am fairly sure of is that it wasnt your fault and your dealer should take care of it.Whether cannondale helps or not is between your dealer and them.You shouldnt have to worry about it and your dealer should just chalk it up to a learning expierience.

Ryanstones

who knows?

#8 Post by Ryanstones »

Thanks for your replies 27. I'm sure it wasn't my fault either. In fact, after sleeping on the problem I think the problem lies with the gen 1 engine from c'dale. I think back to the number of times my starter has hung up over the last year and think maybe that was a sign of the crank bearing beginning to fail, where i thought it was the starter. I seem to remember quite a few of the gen 1 engines having bearing problems. The new top end and my enthusiastic right thumb just pushed her over the edge. piiisssss. I'll keep ya'll posted on the progress. I will be surprised if my dealer steps up with any help at all though, as he was talking about bailing on 'dale before xmas.

AlaskaSpeed

#9 Post by AlaskaSpeed »

Keep us informed, Ryan Also, keep in mind that there are other dealers that you can go to for help about the Gen 1 engine issue if it looks like the case. I have dealt with dealers outside the state of Alaska on possible warranty issues and Cannondale has backed me up......JIM

haydug

#10 Post by haydug »

HEY RYAN, JUST SAW YOUR PICTURES, LOOKS BAD!! YOU CARTRIDGE PLATES WERE PROBABLY MOVING, CAUSING METAL TO CIRCULATE IN THE MOTOR. AFTER THAT STARTS HAPPENING, IT'S A MATTER OF TIME BEFORE SHE PUKES. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY LUCK WITH YOUR DEALER, GIVE ME A CALL, I CAN HELP YOU OUT.