Oil from air box

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
housercdale

Oil from air box

#1 Post by housercdale »

I know it has been cover before, but refresh my memory. I have oil comming from the bottom of the air box area. It covered the radiator as well. It looks like trans fluid. I have stood the bike up all the time since new in 02, go riding twice a week and have not had the prob. tell know.

Happyboy

#2 Post by Happyboy »

3 things comes to mind.

1) Not so bad. You may just need the oil line update.
2) Not so bad. You overfilled your oil.
3) Oil pump is gone bad. Pumps oil up but not back down.

I think these are all possabilites. Maybe someone else can narrow it down for you.

Did you just recently change your oil?

fyrmedic

#3 Post by fyrmedic »

check all your hoses, I thought I overfilled, but the hose from frame to head popped off. Easy fix, but scary!!

rob_me686

#4 Post by rob_me686 »

i got the same type of problem
its leakin from under the air box to the bottome of the rad, the oil is catching under the rad shroud on the frame. if you install the ac nerfs, right infront of where the bars connect infront of the rad.

how would i check to see whats wrong?
and i have the oil line update, there is no hose going from the top drain nipple aynwhere.

moto450

#5 Post by moto450 »

rob did u change the oil latley or add any????? ?#2 were u reving the motor????

rob_me686

#6 Post by rob_me686 »

yeah i did change it a lil while ago
when i checked it she seemed low, so i filled her up a bit, then checked it again, it was too high. so i just drained it to the proper level.
hopefully thats the case, i'll keep an eye on this and let you know

jfarrar

#7 Post by jfarrar »

houser pull your clutch cover and check the pump gears.i recently tore apart a motor that one of the cart plate bolts come loose and wedge the idler gear inturn striping the scavange pump gear.sometimes something can get wedged in the scavange gear and lock it to causing it to strip.

Canniboomer

#8 Post by Canniboomer »

...the dipstick is worthless, even if you epoxy paint so you can see it, the level never seems to be true or revealing, leading to easy overfills or underfills, even with following the idling/settling procedures exactly --- it seems better to just change oil and add only 1-1/3 quart, and not even try to look at the crummy dipstick....then change oil at reasonable intervals. If you don't have a leak somewhere, you should be OK.

Also, if the air filter was not "bone-dry" before you re-oiled it, the oil tends to separate and eventually drain off the filter, also messing up the airbox tray...These super-absorbent air filters take a LONG time to dry out "completely" after cleaning -- good to keep a spare handy and ready, or it can take you all weekend to clean & dry & oil !

yeah, let us know if it stops....you may need to purge a few more ounces-- a little extra oil goes a looong way as you know, all over & down and around and covers everything - yuck!. rolleyes.gif

rob_me686

#9 Post by rob_me686 »

alright thanks for the pointers!

yeah there was a little bit of crap in the box, i cleaned it out, and the level of oil seems good now, i just pulled the airfilter off and cleaned it so im waiting for it to dry. and it was not bone dry, it had fair amount of oil on er...so between my dad and i didnt think it shoudda had that much, it more then likely came from the overfill of oil so. she should be alright.

i'll let you guys know if the oil in the box continues, thanks agin for the pointers

:head: :usa

cdalerider77

oil in air filter

#10 Post by cdalerider77 »

i have an 02' cannibal and i was wondering if anyone knew where i could get tha oil line update kit for it and how much would it cost? and does it fix tha problem with oil over flowing into air filter when ran hard?