Motor Work Opinion

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Zooter

Motor Work Opinion

#1 Post by Zooter »

I'm new to the forum and new to being a Cannondale owner. biggrin.gif

I've basically got a "new" blaze that has barely ever been started. I scored it on a deal from an Ex cannondale dealers dead inventory. Riding season starts here in a few months so I was considering taking the time now to get the motor in shape.

It was recommended that I get the motor "updated" before really riding to avoid any of the potential motor problems.

I've looked into the $1100 ATK motor program.
Does anyone have any experience with this? Does that seem like a good move? Are there any other options out there?

I'm more interested in reliability than performance.

I would appreciate any input or suggestions. Thanks in advance.

~Z

cdrookie

#2 Post by cdrookie »

read everything on here! it's all been or is being discussed. what year is the blaze? how bout a little info on yourself- years riding, machines owned, mechanical ability, etc... that will all come into play while deciding which direction you need to head in to make your 'daling experience a good one!:welcome:

Provy4life

engine from atk

#3 Post by Provy4life »

im in the process of getting my engine back from atk....it took approximately 2 months for them to do it....i got the basic upgrade but my total bill ended up being 2,100.00. i sure hope it rips....i'll let you know...should be getting it back 2 day sometime.:eek:

Ryanstones

#4 Post by Ryanstones »

:welcome:

Welcome Zooter! congrats on the 'dale!

I've heard no significant unresolved complaints on the ATK work, and may provide some warranty.

You could also do the Basics yourself for just a few hundred dollars. Stage 8 and motor mount would probably do ya.

Good luck, it's an awesome machine.

Zooter

Thanks!

#5 Post by Zooter »

Thank you all for your feedback and the warm welcome! I'm going to do some more scowering of old posts and see what people's thoughts are. I've gone back 100 days or so, and got some great feedback - but didn't really find a good motor discussion. I'll keep looking - there is a lot of great stuff here. Also, I'll be giving Haydug a call - most people have positive things to say about him and his work.

Provy- hope the $2100 gives you a smokin motor! Really, for reliable motor kit, that's not too bad. I'm assuming you went for the 450 and the 5th gear replacement... should be a perfect ride when it's done - givin' a TRX a real run for the money! Please let me know how your experience with ATK went. I've heard stories that they are somewhat difficult to deal with, do great work, but that they can be a little "soup nazzish."

I've actually got a "new" glamis and an old race moto that I'm disecting for the front end suspension, axle, nerfs, wave brake and a few other goodies. Should have a great MXer when I'm done. Or just a headache and a big pile of parts in my garage - one of the two.

Wish me luck. Just trying to get it started has been tricky enough.... it pretty much just sat around for over a year - just needs some lovin'

cdrookie

#6 Post by cdrookie »

good luck and if you have any questions stop by the chat room sometime between 9-11 eastern time. haydug, jaybr, ******, happyboy, are usually there in that time frame and can help you.

district6_47p

#7 Post by district6_47p »

Im a little late on the imput but i had the DE1 kit from South Bay moto done and it runs strong. The kit upgrades a lot in the engine and im happy with it so far. They took a little longer with it then they said they would but it seems like good work.

Zooter

#8 Post by Zooter »

Looks like standard turnaround from most shops is 4 - 6 weeks. How long did your DE1 kit from South Bay run?

thomez

#9 Post by thomez »

Send it to Haydug!!

district6_47p

#10 Post by district6_47p »

The DE1 kit took about 6-8 weeks and i was told about 4, but i sent mine in the begining of the race season also so i dont know if that played a part in the down time.