VP fuel question

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
cdaleracer52

VP fuel question

#1 Post by cdaleracer52 »

i have a dale with a fresh rebuild, i just put a wade wilcox high comp piston (updated piston), clutch, stage 8, and oil pump. i was just wondering if it would hurt my engine now or in the long run if i ran vp c12 mixed half and half with sunoco 94?

KYmxracer52

#2 Post by KYmxracer52 »

I am getting the HDC 450 and doug told me that you need to run a min. of a 50/50 blend, so I'd say that would be fine.

Exodus

#3 Post by Exodus »

The VP Ultimate 4 is legal for AMA use according to VP. They claim a 6% hosepower gain in stock or modified 4 strokes. That fuel is a leaded fuel as well as being oxygenated and has a 92 motor octane. The VP C10 fuel is also an oxygenated fuel and a good choice, it is unleaded and has a 104 research octane and a 96 motor octane. This fuel is used mostly for IMCA and SCCA race cars. But I cant verify that it is AMA legal. VP does make a fuel that might suit your motor a little better, it is called Motorsport 109. This fuel is made for higher compression engines and is oxygenated fuel. It is designed for higher compression engines with 11:1 or naturally aspirated enigines with a CR of 13:1. This fuel has a motor octane of 101, a research octane of 109, and is an oxygenated fuel. I am not sure, but I think Doug Gust is using this fuel or one very close to it for GNC.

Exodus

#4 Post by Exodus »

BTW, that was a reply I made in the Open Forum where I found this question.smile.gif

KYmxracer52

#5 Post by KYmxracer52 »

I bought some VP 110. It's the purple stuff. I'm mixing it 50/50. Or should I run it straight through? I have the high comp. 450.

Exodus

#6 Post by Exodus »

Well, VP 110 is a leaded fuel, I have heard that that is hard on valves and valve seats, I'm still researching on whether or not thats true but I wouldnt take the chance. One thing to mention with leaded fuel is it may have an effect on the oxygen sensors in our Cannondales, I have heard this a few times as well, might be something to think about. I know VP 110 is good in a 2 stroke but I dont know yet on the Cannondale. However the VP 110 is designed for high comp motors to 14:1. The motor octane of that is 107, thats the highest octane that VP has I believe. I think I would try and find a fuel that would be a little more compatiable to the Cannondale, VP makes a motorsport 109 fuel that is unleaded and can handle engines with a CR of 13:1 with naturally aspirsated and 11:1 with a trubo or supercharger lol. That fuel is a 101 motor octane, so if your looking for a little lower octane level I would see if that is an option. And that will disperge the valve troubles if there is any truth to that.

KYmxracer52

#7 Post by KYmxracer52 »

Thanks for the tip.

Derno24

#8 Post by Derno24 »

Originally posted by Exodus
One thing to mention with leaded fuel is it may have an effect on the oxygen sensors in our Cannondales,  

Just letting you know there are no O2 sensors on the Dale this is an open system like a street bike not closed like a car.

cdalemx301

#9 Post by cdalemx301 »

Hey guys are you sure oxygenated gas is legal i have been told by a few its not....and there was a rumor floating around about gust running oxyginated so someone protested him and they strip his bke checked the whole bike then check the fuel to be sure it wast oxygenated....so im not saying anyones wrong cuz im not positive but are u sure oxyginated is legal before people g a nd race with it?

Derno24

#10 Post by Derno24 »

Originally posted by cdalemx301
Hey guys are you sure oxygenated gas is legal i have been told by a few its not....and there was a rumor floating around about gust running oxyginated so someone protested him and they strip his bke checked the whole bike then check the fuel to be sure it wast oxygenated....so im not saying anyones wrong cuz im not positive but are u sure oxyginated is legal before people g a nd race with it?

Stripping the motor wouldn't be due to the gas. I think they were claiming he was bigger than 450 or stroked. There may have been issues with gas, I'm not sure, but if you want to see which gasses are legal just go to VP racing's web site and it will tell you. Granted it does get confusing though!